Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

So here are some details about the working VIVE Wireless adapter.

This is PCIe slots on my Motherboard

BIOS Settings

Speed of PCIEX4 slot in BIOS set to 3.0, but WiDig card options in Windows is displayed as 2.0

Most likely the Wireless card requires only 2.0 port speed.

All Settings on SteamVR set to Default, SS Auto 200%, Image Smoothing On...

Tried to record two videos of the helmet with a wireless adapter.
Just put GoPro inside the helmet.

Oh, my fpsVR interface language is set to Russian, I do not think this is a problem :)

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the detailed post , I notice from your videos your CPU stays at or around 60% when you are running the game.

What is your CPU % 1) before you run SteamVR AND 2) when you just run SteamVR (no game)?

Mine is 0-10% with no SteamVR and 40-50% with just SteamVR.

I tried removing SteamVR Home and AdvancedSettings 2.7 and resetting SteamVR to default values but that made no difference to the choppiness, which is almost certainly because the CPU is maxing out.

I will look into my BIOS to see if I can set mine to the same as yours and then do some more testing.

My CPU load step by step:

1. Simply Windows CPU 1-2%

2. Run VIVE Wireless and connect HTC helmet CPU 4%

3. After run SteamVR CPU 68% (simply stay in Steam VR Home)

4. Close VIVE Wireless App and disconnect helmet CPU 33% (running SteamVR without VR compositor)

Hopefully it's not too small but here's a summary of my CPU as I add more Steam elements. 

Note that running Steam Home is the equivalent of running a game, i.e. it pushes my CPU to 100%, at which point I see the issue. I could trim some CPU by closing down Chrome, etc. but even if I do that the CPU still runs close to 100%.

Yes indeed, I noticed, at first I did not notice.
Today during the day I noticed the inconsistent work of Fallout 4VR. Now I turned off the computer, turned it on in five minutes, launched Fallout 4 and everything is fine, 90 FPS, there are no reprojected frames even at SS 200%. I turn off the Fallout, turn it on again and now 45 FPS and frames fell down ... Skyrim and other games work steadily at 90 FPS. Tomorrow I will understand, but this is a software problem. Later I will record a video from the helmet of Skyrim, anyway, my battery has sat down :)

Most importantly, with the new hardware configuration, I lost image pixelation. Image quality is the same as with wired connection. There are some differences, tomorrow I will describe them in more detail and try to take a video.