Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

Just another consumer! That might be able to help. I am in no way affiliated with any of these companies but after much research this seems to help. I put these in no particular order just as they pop in my head. Pci gen 3. Overclock cpu if u can. Use steam vr beta. Turn off motion smoothing. Set global ss to stock. SS each game to ur gpu reccomend settings. Oh and use windows 10 gaming mode if u have windows 10. Steam beta has an update for wireless adapter and it seems to work. Good look it will not be as good as wired but this is the best I can get.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried again. I had disconnected my wireless adpater over a month ago waiting for a solution to the performance issues. With visitors here over the Chrstmas holiday, I decided to update everything and try one more time. Same thing is wrong.

Vive PRO. Intel i7 8th Gen, GTX 1080Ti, MSI Z370 Carbon AC MotherBoard, 3200 MHZ Corsair RAM, v3 PCI slots on. Fresh Windows Install. PC is strictly setup for VR. Wireless performance is still very jittery. Ruins the whole purpose of having a Vive Pro

Vive should indicate what's going on. Is the issue considered resolved at this point? (so I can sell this thing on eBay), or do they recognize that there are still issues? If so, they should post regular updates on the status.

Could this be due to a bad batch of WiGig cards? Or a motherboard incompatibility? Maybe it's not a software problem at all. But without communication from Vive on the issue, how can we know what to do. I've tried talking to tech support via email and chat before, and it was time consuming and unproductive. At one point, I emailed them asking if they could allow me to return the adapter. I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply

While I do appreciate that some Vive Tech Support staff have made efforts to post updates on this thread periodically, more needs to be done at this point. It's been over 3 months since I got this thing, and it still doesn't work as promised. The only downside to the wireless adapter was supposed to be reduced resolution at times. There is a lot more going wrong than that.

I’ve just upgraded my HTC Vive Pro to HTC Wireless, when running Arizona Sunrise some of the time it is OK but during high processor computation scenes (e.g. more zombies approaching) then the display becomes blocky and pixelated.  It's borderline bearable but not what I had hope for considering the investment I've made in HTC Vive Pro.

On other less demanding games such as Moss, this blockiness does not occur.  Discussion here suggests that the problem could be because my wireless card is not inserted in a PCIe 3.0 slot.  I don’t have a spare PCIe 3.0 slot so would need a new motherboard. 

My spec:

Windows 10

ASUS AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 ROG Strix OC Gaming 8GB

Intel i7-4790k (4 GHz)

ASUS Z97-K 

It has these slots:

1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 mode, gray)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode, black) 
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
2 x PCI

So my questions:

- Has anyone used HTC Vive Pro with wireless successfully?  Perhaps in a PCIe 3.0 slot with Arizona Sunrise and not get blocky behaviour during high computation scenes?  

- Should I try a motherboard upgrade and any recommendations from any actual satisfied users?

Just wanted to say that I have been having this issue with my Vive Pro and Wireless Adapter since I got it on release. It is very annoying that there is still no official fix or reason for this issue. I have been all over Google trying to find a resolution. At first I thought it was just my setup but after seeing how many people have this issue, it is apparent that there is more to it. It does mostly occur in higher end games like Fallout 4 VR and Skyrim VR. Skyrim VR is playable but it flickers and is jittery. Fallout VR on the other hand is not playable because it is constantly getting out of focus and pixelated. lt is also jarring whenever you move your head. Most notably the interface but also in game. Other, less demanding games do run fine with the adapter (Evasion, Gorn, Beat Saber, Audioshield, etc.). However, issues do persist randomly in SteamVR, while not even playing a game and the interface will get out of focus and get pixelated so the issue isn't just with Bethesda's games (although they still need more optimization).

My build:

Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHZ

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM

Asus Maximus Hero VI Motherboard

CPU usuage maxes out aroud 70% while running Fallout 4 VR, Steam and Steam VR (any other unnecessary processes closed). I have tried dropping the graphics down to bare minimum and turning supersampling off. Also tried disabling the camera (which I leave off anyway), bluetooth communication, reprojection settings, etc. I have the latest versions of Steam VR (1.1.4), Vive Wireless Adapter, Steam, GPU driver, etc. I have my GPU running in a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot and my WiGig card installed in a PCIe 2.0 x1 slot. I have my linkbox mounted right about my monitor hanging off of a canvas picture and is getting a good view of the headset. My Steam VR 2.0 lighthouses are also in good view.

I never had any issues using the cord, maxed out every game, etc. This has to be a wireless issue that is either defective or not optimized. I have spent numerous hours trying different settings. It is very aggravating to have spent as much as I did on the Vive Pro and Wireless Adapter only to be stuck with a half-baked product. If this issue isn't fixed soon, I am just going to sell my Vive. I am tired of spending every day off I get trying to fix issues instead of relaxing and playing games.

Probably no help to you, either cause youve already tried it or cause I'm dumb, but I went into my BIOS settings and set the speed for my PCIe slot to gen 3 instead of auto and it fixed everything. Also I turned on my wifi with my ethernet but I doubt thats the reason its fixed. This was with a normal Vive btw, not a Pro.

As a quick update in case anyone is going for a refund because there's no solution for the time being, I'm currently in a back and fourth over email attempting to get my refund, as they're trying to deny it by making every excuse they can think of. I'll update you with the resolution probably in several months.

We are currently offering a refund for users who are having issues related to Ryzen incompatibility, as per our blog post here: https://blog.vive.com/us/2018/11/16/update-vive-wireless-adapter-ryzen-chipsets/

This offer does not extend to Intel chipset systems.

You asked about a refund and you were directed to the link above. We asked to verify that you had a Ryzen system and you confirmed that you did not. Unfortunately, at this time, we are only offering an extended return period for  users affected by the Ryzen compatibility issue. 

I've offered to continue helping troubleshooting and would be happy to do so.

Thank you,

-John C