Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

Can we get some clarification on what exactly is causing pixelation, audio stuttering, and absurdly low framerates?

How is the video stream compressed, and where? Is it done by the PCI-E card? Is it done on the CPU? Where is the bottleneck? Is the bottleneck the HMD mounted wireless adapter not having enough horsepower to decompress the video stream? Why does supersampling cause the image to become compressed and pixelated?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THERE IS NO SOLUTION! the wirels adapter it's crap! wont run good even on a i7 8700, 1080ti!!!!!! I tried every single "solution" and nothing, of course light greaphinc games they work good, but go and try a good game  and bum, everything looks like this and pfs goes to **bleep**.

DONT BUT THIS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

THERE IS NO SOLUTION! the wirels adapter it's crap! wont run good even on a i7 8700, 1080ti!!!!!! I tried every single "solution" and nothing, of course light greaphinc games they work good, but go and try a good game  and bum, everything looks like this and pfs goes to **bleep**.

DONT BUT THIS CRAP!!!!!!!!!!

Also Vive costumer supor it's a joke!! 1 month to answer and no help at all! 

I'm having the same issue. Experience is very choppy, with sporadic pixelation and stuttering with audio glitches.

• OG Vive
  • Core i5 7600k @ 3.8Ghz
  • Gigabyte GA-H270M-DS3H
  • 8GB RAM
  • GTX 1080
  • Win 10 pro 64-bit

Tried everything in this thread. Feeling like I just threw $300 down the drain, which is not a trivial amount of money for me at all.

Just wanted to add the specs of yet another affected system:

Windows 10 home (64 bit)

Core i5 7600k (3.8ghz, also tried OC'd to 4.3)

16 Gigs RAM

MSI z270 Gaming Pro

Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64

VR Compositor eating up 40-50% CPU resources, often pegging my overall CPU at 100% according to task manager. Have tried going through Steam support but getting nowhere - they're just having me uninstall every single application they find in my system reports.

Same for me... Before using the adapter most of the games worked fine, without any pixelation.

My Rig:
- Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4Ghz Box Socket 1155
- Asus P8P67 B3
- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Windforce 3X OC

- 8GB RAM

I know that this is not the best rig ever... but at least works well until now and I can read any text in HTC Vive Pro when I'm wired... but wireless all is ugly and pixelated as hell.

Tested in all PCIe sockets (all of them are 2.0).

I thought I'd check in to update all the poor souls (including myself) suffering issues. I received a direct email from someone at DISPLAYLINK kindly informing me that "we wanted to let you know we have been actively looking into this and I'll definitely be in touch when we know more."

I fired the wireless up again to see if anything had changed. Same issues, massive CPU overhead, occasional gray screens for no apparent reason, pixelation etc etc etc. 

Hope something happens.

Just got this wireless adapter.. same thing is happening: pixelated video/stuttering. Vive works great wired for a long time.. nice clear picture, nice fps.. After putting the wireless adapter in place, It is pixelated and stutters. It fluctuates though.. sometimes it will look great.. but it lasts like 5 seconds at most.. 

gpu: gtx 1080ti

cpu: Intel Core i7 4960x

16 GB RAM

Alright so, as an update, I have given up and requested a refund at this point. I've tried everything I could try, I even ended up upgrading my GPU to an RTX 2070 with zero improvement. My card is running in a PCIe 3.0 slot, my CPU utilization never goes above 40%, my GPU never even flinches, I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled steam, steam VR, and the wireless software clean, I've tried my card in every single slot configuration possible to me, I've gone into my Bios and set all the slots to gen 3, tried changing all the settings, sliders, etc in the steamVR settings, played with settings turned incredibly down to make absolutely certain there is zero tax on my computer, no dice. 

I really wanted this to work, but it's nothing to do with user error or anything on the user's end, it's HTC. Their system just doesn't work in quite a few scenarios looking at the boards. 

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP!!!

Ok, Vive team, HTC, Steam, Valve, Diplaylink, Intel or whomever on Earth is untimately responsible for this device. It's about time you came clean and made a statement regarding this defective product so we can seek refunds or take appropriate action.

If this absolutely insane CPU utilization is standard and as per specification then we need to know. I personally find is absurd that this system doesn't have a standalone processor to perform its compression, and more so; if the wireless throughput is what was stated by intel and displaylink; why is it being compressed at all?

Either way, enough is enough. This product is borderline defective.