Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

Hi Alubaking. Are we reading the same thread because that link you provided points to a bunch of people with no awareness of the key issue (CPU throttling)  reporting supeficial improvements relating specifically to GPU performance whilst saying ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about their CPU usage; the OP included.

The OP (sergioberg79)  also said that "there is no performance issues with high SS settings for me" which completely contradicts your curious Nagorak theory. Mind you most of us here have tested with a wide range of SS settings with ZERO effect to CPU overhead; locked to 100% irrespective of conditions or troubleshooting.

To the contrary, most people here and there clearly pointed out that CPU use was exactly the same post update. Some statements from that thread you might have missed before posting here...
"CPU still spiking in those even with this update"
"CPU is still pegged around 99%"
"Cpu was pegged at 100% all the time."
"CPU still seems high"
"Totally killing my cpu"

False claims of the issue being "completely resolved" really aren't helpful to those still being effected.

PS: "I haven't tested out to see if it was fixed"   -   Thanks mate, very useful.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: it’s not gone :( but it is quite a bit better. In steamVR home I get a jitter about every 3-5 seconds. In beat saber, when I play on expert I don’t get any, when I play on expert+ I get one every 3-5 seconds. But it is tons better. So much so that I think I’ll keep it.

Guys I solved it!!! Well, maybe there is more than one issue, but I solved my issue.

Also, I do not know a lot about computers, I just grew up in a family of electrical engineers that work for Intel... so don’t be hating if I sound stupid!

Here is my theory: it is a PCIe lane issue. Almost all processors have 16 lanes. So if your graphics card is in a x16 slot, it will use all those lanes. Now if you add something into another slot, the graphics card will still try to use all those lanes but the additional card will squeeze some information across when it can. (16 lanes is a lot and bandwidth, but every now and then it just gets a little bottle necked).

My solution: force my graphics card to only use 8x lanes (this should be less than a 1% decrease in performance according to the “reliable” source that is google). Then I installed my wireless card in the x4 slot.

Steps taken:

1) in bios, set the default display PCIe slot to my x8 slot

2) installed graphics card (I did have to reinstall the driver, which I was not expecting)

3) installed the wireless card in a 3.0 (I tried my x1 2.0 slots but it cause my computer to keep restarting). I only had one slot left so that was the x4 slot (I wanted to keep the x16 slot empty)

4) play VR without any jitters

Anyways, maybe more people could try this set up and see if it solves their problem. I’m happy to help troubleshoot any other people’s issues on my machine. Good luck!!!

Also my CPU usuals went down a little with these changes by about 10%

Same problem here, also noticed

when I start SteamVR to use my vive pro the Cpu goes up to 52% when Im using it with the cable, and 52% with a game running,

now here is the problem, when Im using the wireless adapter the Cpu goes up to 82%!!!!!!!!! and 99% 100% with a game running! and not running a really demanding game, I tested it with Stand Out.

With wireless adapter the Image some time is choppy, and a lot of missing frames, I tired lowering the graphics, no SS and everything else and I keep having same problem.

I have All updated, and also tried with SteamVR Beta.

Pc specs Asus Prime B250M - A 16Gb Ram Intel i5 7500 Geforce gtx 1070

1t Samsung Evo SSD

Please I would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

Skaliligman-

Could you tell me what PCIe version your X4 port is operating with?  The guys at VR Freaks on youtube mentioned that when they forced their port to V3.0 instead of V2.0 they saw a significant improvement.

You can check the PCIe version 2 ways:
1)  In device manager, find the intel wigig VR device, under the details tab select 'PCI express spec version' from the drop down menu.  (Mine is operating in 2.0, with some degraded performance in complex games)

2) I'm also using the HWINFO64 utility to get a bit more information quickly.

Thanks for checking,

Jeff

Morning John-

Have you noticed any reports of the PCIe version affecting performance?  The guys over at VR Freaks on youtube mentioned if they forced their PCIe version 3.0 they saw a significant performance issue that permitted them to run Fallout 4 VR smoothly.  I've confirmed my system is running the card at V2 and currently has issues running FO4 to where its unplayable.  Games like the Lab and RecRoom have little to no issues.

Looks like my BIOS won't let me force the slot/card to V3, or I'd give it a try myself.  Do you know of how to force the card to operate in V3 within Win10?

Jeff

Dell Aurora R7, i7 8500, 16gb DDR4, Geforce 1080TI, Vive Pro

RE: The PCIe express lane theory.... Myself and many others in this thread have already proven that the PCIe lanes are not the cause of these problems. Of course there would be performance increase using 3.0 vs 2.0, that's not why we're here.

ASUS Prime Z370-A II - I have tested the wireless card in 4 different PCIe 3.0 x1 slots, and in one PCIe 3.0 x16 whilst my 2080TI was fitted in the other, both 16x slots were confirmed to have been downgraded to 8x during testing. ALL of the performance testing I performed previously were in the 8x/8x configuration.

So no, 2.0 PCIe nor "PCIe lane shortage" ? What the ? isn't the root cause.

I would REALLY, REALLY love to see some performance analysis figures from people without these problems. Maybe everyone has 100% CPU lock overhead and just haven't noticed? Can we get some Wired VS Wireless CPU/GPU utiliziation compairisons from a fully operational system?

Vive Team ? Can you provide this data? Expressing to us what the normal/desired operating figures are.

I just had a conversation with Vive tech support.  This is what they told me.  I haven't yet tested because I'm in the process of moving, but hopefully this works for some of you.

Hello John!

I hope you had a great day.

This is the email promised about the possible fixes for the image quality with the wireless adapter. This was a public release, so you are able to find this information on Steam website.

This article basically showed the wireless GPU performance improvements with the recent SteamVR update. So, I would recommend you please contact Steam support in order to see if you already have the most recent update that should fix these troubles https://help.steampowered.com/en/

-The most recent SteamVR update Fixed Vive Wireless Adapter GPU performance issues

-Fix for extended running start in async mode:

The compositor will dynamically pull back running start to accommodate apps which are CPU bound on their submit thread. However, there was a driver bug which was preventing this from operating correctly much of the time. This change switches to a more general approach which avoids this issue. This now allows the compositor to provide up to 8ms of running start on both Nvidia and AMD hardware, although it is a Windows 10 only feature. If you have previously relied on disabling async-reprojection and enabling “Always-On Reprojection” in order to play racing and flight sims, please retest with this. You can monitor running start timing using the SteamVR Frame Timing graph by looking at the black “New Poses Ready” line in the Details view.

-Allow developers and advanced users to disable all async and reprojection features by pressing Shift+A in the mirror window. This setting will persist until SteamVR exits to avoid customer’s accidentally disabling async persistently across launches of SteamVR without knowing how to re-enable it. A message will be displayed in the upper left corner of the mirror window notifying you that async and reprojection have been disabled. Pressing Shift+A has the same effect as disabling async, disabling interleaved reprojection, and enabling “always-on reprojection” (which just gives a full frame of running start to the app) in older versions of SteamVR.

-Fixed prediction for secondary "game" poses when going into and out of throttling.

-Moved Direct Mode settings to their own group to support multiple headsets.

-Fix for constant dropped frames reporting and erratic timing when NvAPI display timing call fails.

If after updating SteamVR until the latest version the issue remains, please contact us back through the chat as I won’t be able to follow this interaction via email. So, we will be able to continue with troubleshooting or explore the warranty options for the adapter.

I'm using a gtx 1070TI and have HORRIBLE picture quality compared to when I'm plugged in - when using wireless.. I just got mine today and am trying to figure out if this was just me.. but I guess not. my 1070TI should definitely not be making BEAT SABER look like a ps1 game though. . It looks fing AMAZING when plugged in. . this is a shame. Thinking of returning wireless adapter immediately, as this is unacceptable for $300. And I even notice some latency here and there when it's suppose to be 0 latency.