Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

Wow!  The SteamVR update solved my performance issue!

I did notice some occational hitching, which I didn't previously.  That might be due to the hitching being 'hidden' by the other issues previously.  Wireless strength was full whenever hitching did occur.  It was infrequent, so I don't see it as a major issue at the moment.  Hopefully it can be addressed in a future software update.

Other than the minor hitching, I'm very excited about what I just tried.  This is the wireless experience I'd been wanting.

BTW, Nvidia VR Funhouse is still a jittery mess.  Not sure what's to blame there.  It's much improved over how it was before, but it's still pretty annoying.  

Now if only I can get my 2080 ti back from RMA to see what it can do with the Vive Pro over wireless.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The update was released today.

If it was working for you, you either have a regular Vive (the majority of issues were with the Pro) or you were playing stuff that didn't show the problem.  There were various games, such as Space Pirate Trainer, The Lab and Job Simulator that didn't have any visible performance issues.  If you had the performance graphs open, you'd see a completely different story, but your experience in game wasn't affected.  

Are you sure you’re on the SteamVR beta? If so, you might want to take a screenshot of the advanced frame timing graph when you experience issues. That will show if you’re even experiencing the same problems as the rest of us. The symptom should generally be a significant amount of late starts on the CPU, as well as very high and unstable CPU timing.

REVIEW & REPORT - POST UPDATE

PC SPECS:
Rig Built for VR
I5 9600k @ 4.85Ghz
RTX2080Ti OC

ASUS PRIME Z370A II
16GB DDR4
200% Super-sampling
PC load at IDLE:
CPU: 1-2% Usage
GPU: 1% Usage

Beat Saber Wired:
CPU: 38-44% Usage
GPU: 45-55% Usage
Reprojection/MS: 6.8

Beat Saber Wireless:
CPU: 95-100% Usage
GPU: 76-80% Usage
Reprojection/MS: 8.8ms
Note: CPU being throttled, constant RED “Late Start”. GPU load increased. Jittery. Loss of quality. Reprojection felt. Roughly 40% increase in GPU an CPU usage with identical settings.

The Climb Wired (Revive)
CPU: 45-55%
GPU: 35-45%
Reprojection/MS: 4.9ms

The Climb Wireless
CPU:
95-100%
GPU: 43-55%
Reprojection/MS: 6.0
Note: CPU being throttled. Frame Rate Halved. GPU load increased. Jittery. Heavy reprojection.

Creed Wired:
CPU: 40-50%
GPU: 45-55%
Reprojection/MS: 6.4ms

Creed Wireless:
CPU:
94-100%
GPU:
75-85%
Reprojection/MS:
Note:
CPU being throttled, use doubled. GPU load increased. Jittery. Reprojection felt.

Skyrim Modded VR Wired
CPU: 70-80%
GPU: 50-60%
Reprojection/MS: 6.2

Skyrim Modded VR Wireless
CPU:
100%
GPU: 80-90%
Reprojection/MS: 7.8
Note: CPU being throttled heavily, constant RED “Late Start”. GPU load increased. Jittery. Reprojection felt.

Space Pirate Wired
CPU: 40-50%
GPU: 65-75%
Reprojection/MS: 8.6

Space Pirate Wireless
CPU:
90-100%
GPU: 100%
Reprojection/MS: 11.7
Note:
CPU and GPU being throttled heavily, RED “Late Start”. Jittery. Reprojection felt.

Steam Home Wired:
CPU: 50-60% Usage
GPU: 65-75% Usage
Reprojection/MS: 7.9ms

Steam Home Wireless:
CPU:
95-100% Usage
GPU: 80-90% Usage
Reprojection/MS: 8.4ms

Note: CPU and GPU being throttled heavily, RED “Late Start”. Jittery. Reprojection felt.

VR Chat Loft Home Wired
CPU: 55-65% 
GPU: 70-80%
Reprojection/MS: 9.3ms

VR Chat Loft Home Wired
CPU
: 84-100%
GPU: 65-75%
Reprojection/MS: 13-15ms

Note: CPU and GPU being throttled heavily. M frame drops. Jittery. Heavy reprojection.

Summary:

In all instances above, the amount of CPU power required to operate the Intel Powered wireless system is equal to that of the application being run. I find that to be absolutely mind-boggling! How is that possible? There is no way that this is normal. Especially considering my CPU which is by no means old or slow, it's the second fastest single thread chip on the market. In all tests including those not listed here, CPU utilization slams up to 100% by default regardless of what game is being run.

Creed, Space Pirates, Climb and Creed are not CPU intensive; how on Earth is this CPU being driven up to 100% utilization? Not even Assassin's Creed Odyssey manages to drive that kind of CPU torture.

I can't make sense of the additional GPU utilization either. The Wireless feed is being through-put via the GPU to an alternate PCIe lane to the WiGig card rather than output from the GPU itself; and this requires +30% of a 2080ti's total processing power to achieve?

Clearly there's something very, very wrong going on here.

I have the same issue. But first of all, 2 stories.

1-st. I've been testing wireless with different type of configurations without any issues, for example this machine was working well:

• Asus B150M Pro Gaming
  • i5-6600
  • Asus GTX 1070

and this machine was working well as well:

• OMEN by HP 880-112nc
  • i7-8700
  • GTX 1080

On these machines everything is working absolutely fine.

2-nd story: I've decided to build a new PC with RTX card specially to use it with Vive Wireless:

• ASUS TUF Z390-Pro Gaming (Wi-Fi)
  • i7-8700
  • RTX 2080 by MSI Gaming X Trio

Disaster. Everything is pixelated. Even grey room. In the beginning I was thinking that it is RTX problem. Replaced it with GTX 1070, same thing. Switched PCIe slots - doesn't help. Checked settings of the motherboard, nothing special. Checked Task Manager - CPU over 100% (checked other machines with running Wireless - 30-40%). So, the problem is on CPU side, not GPU. I've i7-8700 in another machine and it was working well with Wireless. So, not the CPU model causing the problem. On faulty machine VR Compositor is on 40% always, comparing to 15-20% on machines where Vive Wireless working great.

So, what's wrong? Motherboard? SteamVR? Wireless Firmware? Too much expectations from products for over 4000$?

Yes, I did, SteamVR 1.1.1 (1542764493). No improvement. Anticipating your possible questions: Win 10 Pro 1803 (17134.407) with all updates (64-bit), GeForce Game Ready Driver 416.94 (latest available), 16 Gb DDR4 2666MHz RAM, Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB NVMe, EVGA 700B (700W).