Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

Well you can certainly access your bios on any motherboard if you're saying you couldn't do that. Just reboot the computer and when it's starting up read the text that flashes by in the bottom-right of your screen giving you options. The default is usually the Delete key to enter setup, but yours could be different. You may have to restart a few times to read it as it goes by quickly. Once you're in bios, your particular bios calls it "PCI Subsystem Settings" where you can enable PCIE GEN3, check out this video for information on that.

EDIT: After a bit more research, yes, for MSI motherboards it should be the delete key, or, rarely, F2. Just restart your computer and keep hitting the Delete key on your keyboard until you get to the bios, then navigate to the Advanced Folder, then the PCI Subsystem Settings folder, as shown in that video. 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Synthesis:

Changing to GEN3 definitely improved performance (the performance had become much worse to the point of not even being able to read text for the entire time the application was launched with the most recent update), but it certainly did not fix it entirely. It still jitters and has resolution drop persistantly, just not to the point that it makes games 100% unplayable. I also tried every other GEN configuration just to be thourough, with GEN3 on both slots giving the best performance. 

Now, one thing I just noticed when moving my WiGig card back to the second PCIe 3.0 slot (I can only force PCIE1 and PCIE3 to Gen3, PCI2/4 cannot be set in my bios) that may actually be the entire problem on my end is that when I unscrewed the wireless receiver's cord, the pin stayed behind inside the card! It still runs, but I would imagine the pin isn't supposed to come off, and that may be the source of my issue at this point, as the GPU graph actually shows everything in the green at a consistent 1.2ms, spiking at most to 3.0ms periodically, so I may just need a replacement card sent out. 

Another thing worth noting, the current SteamVR beta tanks the performance, putting games back into the unplayable domain. Reverting back to the current stable build gives the best performance. 

Alexdt:

Did you set all your PCIe slots to GEN3, or only the slot using the WiGig card?

I also will say, regardless of this resolving my wireless VR issue or not, changing over to GEN3 actually fixed some long standing problems I was having with my GPU just really not performing as it should, which I had chalked up to the GPU simply not being as good as I thought it was. After the change I can run my 4k monitor in 4k, and my 1440p monitor at 120hz without any problems, whereas before these settings caused a lot of strain on the system and flickering/artifacts. I had to settle for 1440p on both screens at 60hz, so thanks for that tip. 

-I only set those 2 to gen 3 (Not all of them)

-Happy that at least it fixed another problem you had before !

If you still have issue with the wireless adapter it might be related with the amount of PCIE Lane used for other interface or system on the motherboard that might not be needed. It's something that depend a lot on the motherboard and some motherboard are better at managing the PCIE Lane than other ...

Hey!
I had the same issue and switching the vive nic card to a diffrent pcie slot fixed it.
I originally had the vive nci card plugged into my pci 4 port which is a pcie 2.0 x 16 slot. This produced having choppy frames.
Then i switched it overe to my pcie 3 port which is pcie 2.0 x1 slot and it fixed all of my stuttering issues!

I have a Vive Pro, a Z370 MSI Motherboard, a 6 core i7 8700, a 1080Ti Card, an M.2 Samsung SSD, and 16GB of 3200 MHZ Ram. And I have horrible judder and tearing with the Wireless Adapter

I took everything else out of my computer except the vive card and the graphics card. I fresh installed Windows and the Vive software. I changed to Gen 3 in the BIOS. I tried different Wigig Channels. I switched to multiple PCI slots. I mounted the antenna in different locations including up on the ceiling. I removed every other wireless device in my room. But I still have judder and tearing with the Wireless adapter, even though my CPU is only at 30 to 40 percent utilitization. I am well above the required specs. I don't know what else to try.

I have similar specs to Zacware above, except with a Gigabyte motherboard, 8700k and 3000mhz ram. Lighter games, such as Beat Saber, work great. Most titles I get stuttering, jumping, etc. I also have a weird issue on some games where tracking will go haywire for a moment then correct itself. Didn't happen previously without the wireless adapter.

Does anyone have a relatively new fully working Vive Wireless setup? If so, can you post specs?

I am prepared to buy a new computer for this to work.. but I want it to work.. not be another computer that stutters in wireless. The most frustrating thing is.. even if you get a state of the art new computer, there seems to be no guarantee.