Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

When using the wireless adapter with the VIVE headset (non-pro) the picture is constantly choppy even in the default Steam VR home environment and the picture keeps flickering in and out of focus (including the chaperon bars). The headset is showing full bars in the VIVE Wireless app and the signal does cut out if I cover the antenna. I have tried moving the Wireless Link box to multiple different positions with no change in performance.

System Specs

Intel® Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
Samsung 970 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD
NVIDIA TITAN Xp
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME LGA 1151 Motherboard

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

, can you tell us what your CPU usage looks like when this behavior occurs (via task manager)? Are you using a super sampling value higher than 1.0? Do you have any OEM performance tools running in the background (i.e. MSI Afterburner)? The Vive Wireless software allows you to switch between 3 separate channels - do the other channels improve performance? Are you close to any sources of RF?  

(The SteamVR home environment is actually pretty performance heavy and not the best representative scene, btw.) 

I'm having the same issue, terrible choppiness and everything constantly losing focus and refocusing. Using a GTX 1070 GPU and an i7-3770k. I know that CPU is a bit dated, but it never goes over 41% usage at any point. I've tried all the basic trouble shooting to no avail. I do use EVGA Precision XOC, but even setting back to default values so no OC is running on the GPU, no difference. At this point I can't even really use the wireless because the performance is so bad. 

Edit: Oh I'd also like to point out that I had a TPCast a while back, and that worked just fine for the duration that it did work before the software kept having bugs and being really unreliable, resulting in my eventually returning the unit. For the short time it was functioning properly, there was no lag, no reduced resolution, nothing, on the exact same system, but I do understand they use different tech so that may not mean anything.

Same issue.  Very choppy.  Pixelation which pulses.  CPU usage is 70%.

Running i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz.  GPU is GTX1080 Hybrid.  

I also always have to launch steam first and then the wireless otherwise steamVR crashes with a 301 error.  

The wireless is unusable.  Going to need to return this.  Wireless still isn't ready.

I tried the wireless on my other PC that's a i7 6700k with a gtx 1070 and it's better, but still losing far more frames than I think is reasonable. The quality doesn't pulse in and out or get choppy behavior.. The system minium requirements HTC states are too low for the HTC wireless, it requires a pretty beefy CPU.. I'm considering returning it as well.. it renders my main VR PC unplayable and I'm not upgrading my entire just to be wireless. My i5 4790k is unusable with a gtx 1070 and that's my main VR rig. Vive pro works fine with a cord as does my Rift. Add the wireless adapter to the mix it just tanks.

CPU usage is only at 43% (see pic below) I have the Wifi on my desktop turned off and I have not messed with the super sampling value in SteamVR Home and I am not even sure where I would go to check it.

I have tried all 3 channels in the Wireless App with no change in preformace as far as I can see. I do not have any  OEM performance tools install other then the Corsair Link software that controls the pump and fan for my water colorer.