Add Mulitplayer for my bowling Home VR

iMMERGENCE

Hi iMMERGENCE,

For a bowling game you could consider hotseat? Makes it a nice party game for when there's only one headset available. Of course it would be hard to have other people watch on a screen, because as far as I know, the casting of the to a computer stops when you take off the headset and it goes dark.

But, if you really wanted to make a multiplayer bowling game for the Focus, I don't really understand what you want to know exactly. If you're using Unity, just use Unet, if you want to use a mess of a framework that sometimes just breaks your project instead of telling you what your error is. But Unet works if you know how to use it. There's some other multiplayer frameworks for Unity as well, should be easy enough to find.

Kind regards,

Peter

Thank you for your answer Peter, yes I understand, I wanted to know if with the SDK viveport I could integrate a solution quickly with a lobby and everything that goes with it. I had already tried UNET in the past but I had problems when I realized that the movement was not fluid at all that the transmission of variables seemed very difficult. I have for the moment integrate this possibility to play up to 4 by sharing the helmet in turn. I was thinking of going even further by trying to connect multiple focus remotely. it is true that my skills in multi are may be limited. I'm going to watch hotseat for once ...

Best

Loic

Hi iMMERGENCE,

You're welcome! Variable transmission is possible using Unet, but you need to remember that SyncVars can only be set on the server, and will then be synched to all the clients. But that's hardly the only problem to overcome when using Unet. And don't use SyncVars to set positions, have that done by NetworkTransforms attached to the game objects. That works pretty well, it can do a maximum of 30 frames per second. And I think it might interpolate the rest? But I'm not sure.

Hotseat is a term for having multiple players use the same device in turn, so you already have that. When already having that, it woudn't be too difficult for an experiences Unet programmer to turn it into a multiplayer game.

But the things you're mentioning, a lobby, and "everything that goes with it", you'd probably be best off looking for a ready built solution for that in the Unity Asset Store. Maybe search for Multiplayer Lobby, and maybe use google if the Asset Store's search function doesn't give you any results.

Kind regards,

Peter

Archived