Forced To Take Legal Action

So this is a PSA of sorts to warn potential and existing customers of HTC Vive of major failings with customer support, and with hardware that should be told to customers before purchasing.

I have been forced to take legal action against HTC as they have been incapable of repairing my unit or providing a refund for broken hardware, and have virtually no regard for customers of a product that cost over £700.

I bought the Vive in June 2016. Approximately 3 months later with minimal use it stopped detecting the headset. I contact support, nearly a month goes by with no reponse, to which I had to prompt them with another email to get back to me. When they did, all they emailed was troubleshooting steps so that the customer uses their personal time to analyse their own product instead of HTC. This is followed by long wait times, if they even respond.

I got to the point I had to contact them via telephone because of months without a reply, only to find out that HTC have paid customer support. Apparently 3 or so months after my first contact they changed their email address for support, but didn't inform customers, so I was emailing a reduntant email address that was still active with no one monitoring it.

One and a half years later a repair is finally arranged after countless hours of my personal time being wasted, as well as my money phoning support. It arrives back, it worked once, then it stopped working altogether. HTC then want more system reports and say that they might not be able to fix the product without the reports - how is it possible that HTC need customer assistance to fix their own product?

After nearly 2 years and my threat of legal action for HTC management to offer to take the entire Vive back and return a functional once, not stating if it would be repaired or refurbished or anything. Except I had lost all interest for VR solely because of the company that made and sold it to me, after the failed repair and more time wasting. I rejected the offer as I already asked for this more than once over a year ago, and was told they need to ascertain what part is faulty for their technicians.

I was told I'd get a call back last week, which I didn't, and 7 days went by before calling them again and they had forgotten to call me which is consistent throughout the entire time dealing with HTC. They say they're going to do a lot of things, but never do them.

This is how serious and professional HTC are as a business, and how much they value customers and customer satisfaction.

I am very eager to hear your story regarding HTC and how you found their service, Vive or other. I will also be posting updates as this progresses for anyone interested.

Chris

Hey Chris,

Seen your post linked via Youtube and straight away made an account. I must say this sort of stuff was precisely what I experienced with HTC, long wait times and unhelpful information which had me thinking how much of my time i was pumping into this product.

Something to add to your post, which you might have noticed too, is the support staff will only help during the phone call, if they have anything to do after the call they don't bother because the survey after the phone call is based on that experience alone, you give feedback before they've helped you so there is no reason to help the customer. I have since sold my Vive at a loss within the year, simply to get rid of it to get some of my money back, and so I don't have to deal with HTC support. You should check some youtube videos out of others doing the same thing e.g. a guy is taking legal action that the thing isn't sweat resistant, but they claim it is. All the best with the legal action and look forward to seeing some followups.

Cheers

James

• 2 weeks later...

wrote:

HTC then want more system reports and say that they might not be able to fix the product without the reports - how is it possible that HTC need customer assistance to fix their own product?

Are you not aware of the fact that of the billions of computers in the world, yours is unique? What version of your operating system you're running, the driver versions you have, and applications running that can interfere with other software all play a huge part in troubleshooting. If you're not willing to help them fix the problem, then what are they exactly supposed to do without wasting your personal time by arranging a meeting in person at your house to diagnose and fix the problem that could take hours or even days?

Be a good sport, and send them the reports like they ask. It's not hard.

I am very eager to hear your story regarding HTC and how you found their service, Vive or other. I will also be posting updates as this progresses for anyone interested.

Chris

I have to say the Guys at HTC have been most helpful after a little hiccup at the very start. 

Over a year ago I had a controller issue that needed sorting. After coming onto the forum and posting my story the guys have really helped me out and got things resolved very quickly. 

Since then i have other minor problems and those have been dealt with very professionally by HTC customer Service. 

So its not always bad service. 

I would like to say that this isn't the experience for all vive customers though I would add that it does seem to break after little to no usage.

The track pad on on my omy pads randomly died once, it must have had less than 6 hours usage.  I created an RMA and this was around the xmas perioid but it got to Romania (I am in the UK and Romania seems to be their service center location for europe) in about 2 days, repair and despatched back about a week later.

About 3 months ago the HMD headset developed some faults and gain using the RMA service (which I would like to add they send you a prepaid shipping label), from me dropping off at a ups drop of point (a corner shop) and the repaired unit returned to me was all done within about the space of a week.

• 3 weeks later...

wrote:

wrote:

HTC then want more system reports and say that they might not be able to fix the product without the reports - how is it possible that HTC need customer assistance to fix their own product?

Are you not aware of the fact that of the billions of computers in the world, yours is unique? What version of your operating system you're running, the driver versions you have, and applications running that can interfere with other software all play a huge part in troubleshooting. If you're not willing to help them fix the problem, then what are they exactly supposed to do without wasting your personal time by arranging a meeting in person at your house to diagnose and fix the problem that could take hours or even days?

Be a good sport, and send them the reports like they ask. It's not hard.

You obviously do not understand the responsibilities of a manufacturer to provide a functional product, and you must not have understood from my post the amount of information I have provided them. There are so many issues with the Vive that can be seen via this forum alone, let alone Reddit and Youtube or any other message board. Also, no where did I imply my situation is unique. I will need to assume there are paid users to make HTC look good and defend them via forum and social media posts, which could definitely appear in this thread based on the title - I'm surprised this entire thread hasn't been deleted.

Update: A formal letter has been issued to HTC Headquarters with a two week deadline in which to respond. After this time if no response has been received, legal action will be taken.

I do not expect a response based on my lengthy experience with HTC, as I know first hand that customer service is not important to this huge organisation.

Archived