Headset loses tracking (HMD) - Symptoms and Solutions

Tianqi

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

My controllers and headset randomely disconnect and i have to restart steam vr to get them back on. I cant play more than 5 minutes before this happens and it is very annoying. I covered my windows, checked the hdmi cable, turned off the camera and nothing helps.

How does the disconnect manifest? Do you see error messages? Does the compositor crash? Any error codes?
At a glance, this sounds like a USB issue so disabling the camera was in the right direction; which type of motherboard are you using? Have you tried switching to a USB 2.0 port (typically they're black rather than blue). Other things that may help: double check Window's power settings are set to "high performance" and that devices won't shut down when idle as well bypassing the HDMI and USB on the linkbox and plugging the leads from the 3-in-1 cable directly into the PC. 

I have an aside motherboard and a few minutes into playing something looses connection randomly, it seems each usb I connect it to looses track of a specific thing. One is the headset, another is both controllers. It’s weird. I’m resetting some stuff let’s see if that works

Asus motherboards are a brand that we've consistently seen USB-chipset issues with, particularly the Z170 . Valve has recommended that users facing these types of motherboard chipset issues to use a Inateck PCI-e USB card to solve these types of issues, however, there may be other underlying issues at play and thus it isn't a solution to everyone's problem. One thing to look at is the companion software that comes with your motherboard that is intended to allow you to optimize and control the features of the moterhboard. Although this is less common with Asus' software suite, these can often have hidden settings which affect USB performance and connectivity. If you google your motherboard model along with the search term "Vive" you will likely come across threads with similar issues which may be the fastest way to self-diagnose the issue if it's specific to your chipset. 

• 6 months later...

VIVE Pro

My headset looses tracking after 1 minute of playing certain games.

For example LightSaber works fine and I can play for hours.

Pavlov VR looses tracking after 1 minute and I need to restart steam vr to make it track again.

* note that everything used to work great, I would play pavlov for hours too. something changed in the lsat two weeks, maybe driver update...