Headset loses tracking (HMD) - Symptoms and Solutions

Tianqi

If the headset icon in SteamVR window is pulsing green, or the screen on the headset is displaying light grey, it means that the headset is losing tracking. Possible solutions you can try are listed below:

• Make sure that the headset is in the play area, which means that it is in the view of at least one of the base stations.
  • Check the base station and make sure they are working normally with the green lights on.
  • Make sure the base stations are set up at the correct height (at least 6.5 feet) and angle (30-45 degrees down). Also make sure the base stations are mounted firmly without shaking when connected to power.
  • Make sure all cables are connected firmly, especially the HDMI cables. Unplug and plug back all the cables might help.
  • Check if there are reflective surfaces (e.g. windows, mirrors, glossy walls, etc.) that are interfering tracking and put covers on them.
  • The front camera sometimes could also cause tracking issues. Try lowering the camera bandwidth or disabling it.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrote:

Do you know how long it takes the headset to go into standby mode? I've noticed when I put my controllers and headset down and walk away, sometimes after a few minutes it will be deactivated in SteamVR. Usually mess's up my tracking and I restart steamvr.

After waking up from standby mode, it should restart tracking and you should not need to restart SteamVR. Could you share more details about your environment and the SteamVR version installed. Thanks!

wrote:

Do you know how long it takes the headset to go into standby mode? I've noticed when I put my controllers and headset down and walk away, sometimes after a few minutes it will be deactivated in SteamVR. Usually mess's up my tracking and I restart steamvr.

Hi Caleb, thanks for connecting with me directly on this question and to share your project ideas. We look forward to seeing the experiences that you are creating in Unity. Let us know if you have any other development related questions. 

Thank you very much for reaching out to me and providing support. I understand that the Oculus/Touch hardware seems to jump into standby much sooner than the actual Vive hardware through SteamVR. Because it loses connection something happens and it doesn't reconnect properly) I can just assume these are simple compatibility issues with the different hardware. Hopefully I will be borrowing a VIve for a couple of days so that I can see if things work properly.)) Thanks again)

• 7 months later...

When i get on the Steam VR menu, it works fine. Then, 5 or 6 seconds later, the screen gets light grey. Some time later the tracking cameras stop beeing detected by the computer (this doesn't happen as much). What can i do?

• 7 months later...

HI,

I recently brought the vive and after about a week of perfect use i came across this problem of the HMD losses tracking.

I have currently attempted all of the possible solutions provided and am struggling to find more solutions.

Other things i've attempted is reinstalling the usb drivers, i've also tried opting it to the SteamVR beta and and uninstalling reinstalling SteamVR.

Any advice would be grateful.

Thankyou

DOCTORMAN

• 3 weeks later...