Other External Controllers

SkitztheCat

So I've been throwing around an idea in my head for a while but I want to use a bluetooth controller for the inputs.  I don't need to track position on the controller at all. I just want to use it as a stand in for controls. Are there any controllers that will hookup wirelessly to the Vive Focus Headset besides the controller which came with it? If not, is there anyway to hookup a different controller which has more inputs? Thanks for the help 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting idea... since the Focus is an Android device, you should be able to use bluetooth like on any Android phone, but since the direct access to bluetooth is not provided in the UI, you might look into controlling bluetrooth via a plugin such as this one if you are developing on top of Unity. If not, you can find code examples for bluetooth programming in the net. Once you got this solved, you could use a bluetooth controller such as the PS4 controller. Just my 5 cents worth...

Tony, it's very interesting theme. Also I want to know is it possible to connect steamVR controllers to Wave HMD?

I read this document, but could not find the answer for this question.

I haven't tried it. But theoretically from architect design if you implement "Device service" to pass Key events, pose info. etc, then it's possible to connect SteamVR Controller.

In our Labs, we have successfully connect with HTC U12+ as another controller, also our partner connect their propietary 6-Dof controllers via "Device service".

That's really great!

But, the thing I couldn't understand from documentation is how to select concrete device? 

"There may be a lot of HMDs and controllers installed on your device at the same time. You need to select the HMD and controller that will be used by the VIVE Wave™ Settings AP."

What is "Settings AP"?

And what shoud I write in Android manifest instead this

<category android:name="com.htc.intent.category.VRDEV" />

• What is "Settings AP"?
  • Setting AP is in release SDK path: SDK\tools\wavevr_settings-release.apk

Developer can use this tool to select his Controller or HMD DeviceService

• And what shoud I write in Android manifest instead this

2.0.37/docs/en/PluginkitSdk.html

Please refer SDK release Device sample code:

(1) SDK\samples\SimpleDevice\app\src\main\AndroidManifest.xml

<service

android:name=".ControllerService"

android:label="@string/service_controller"

android:exported="true" >

<intent-filter>

<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />

</intent-filter>

<meta-data

android:name="supportController"

android:value="true" />

</service>

(2) DeviceService sample code.

SDK\samples\SimpleDevice\app\src\main\java\htc\com\vr\sample\simpledevice\

All this things I found in the documentation, but anyway couldn't understand how to do it. Would you please clarify some more questions?

Is it possible to run wavevr_settings-release.apk on a HMD? I did it. But when I ran this service after apk installation, I understood that this service can work only on a phone, because form of this service was only for one eye, not for two and there was no control on the form (on the service) at all. May be I did something wrong?

Am I right that string  "<category android:name="com.htc.intent.category.VRDEV" />" mean that we instantiate one device, but ANY device?  Where and what should be to instantiate concrete device (I have several), for example my steamVR controller with concrete serial number or smthg like that?

And how many of controllers could be used together at once?

thanks in advance

Is it possible to run wavevr_settings-release.apk on a HMD?

[Vive] Using adb command: you have to install setting AP first. Find it in SDK release folder  

wavevr_settings.apk is in 2.0.xx\HVR_SDK\SDK\tools\

adb shell am start com.htc.wavevr.settings/.MainActivity

I did it. But when I ran this service after apk installation, I understood that this service can work only on a phone, because form of this service was only for one eye, not for two and there was no control on the form (on the service) at all. May be I did something wrong?

[Vive] after launch the wavevr setting AP. You can install Vysor AP to your PC/NoteBook then link the Miac to your PC/NoteBook.

You can select the device service in PC side.

Am I right that string  "<category android:name="com.htc.intent.category.VRDEV" />" mean that we instantiate one device, but ANY device? 

[Vive] We define below categories in our Wave VR.

com.htc.intent.category.VRDEV     indicates Device Service

com.htc.intent.category.VRAPP    indicates VR AP

Define this mean you instantiate a DeviceService and this device Service can contain a HMD or one controller or two controllers

Where and what should be to instantiate concrete device (I have several), for example my steamVR controller with concrete serial number or smthg like that?

[Vive] Not quite sure about this question.  You can call him to see our Device example. SDK\samples\SimpleDevice\app

And how many of controllers could be used together?

[Vive]Two controller could be used together. But these two controllers must write in the same Controller DeviceService.

Great! Thanks a lot!

Now, I choose the service simple device from sample in configs of WaveVR Settings and I could see in the properties tab several controllers. One of them is Finch3Dof Controller which could be pairing with a HMD by pressing menu button. What should I do next to pair my steamVR controller? Shoud I set properties (name, model, render, manufacturer, firmware, hardware rev) by myself or it sets automatically when it pairs?