Vive setup crashes when it says preparing

5haie

I just had this issue where when I attempt to install Viveport, it gets to the Preparing stage for 1-3 seconds before the whole client crashes.

But I found a fix that worked for me and hopefully it can work for you too.
Step 1. Go to your Temp folder via C Drive > User > AppData > Local > Temp

Step 2. Find everything that has to deal with HTC or Vive and delete it from that folder. It's going to be a long list of files with a bunch of numbers/ect so scroll down until you find the files.

Step 3. After deleting every HTC and Vive file within that folder, then attempt to reinstall Viveport.

Hope this helps anyone who has this issue.  

• 6 months later...

Have simmilar issue, but for me it is steam thar crashes and not Viveport.

I have followed wvery step given, but it keeps happening over and over again.

I have reinstalled both steam and vivevport... well so Jane times that I have lost count.

And it cannot have anything to do with my PC that was built for gaming.

Here's is the fun part.. yesterday I tried to install the setup for my Cosmos elite and well as per usual o  my Main gaming Pc that is about 3 years old it still failed over and over. I then contacted support and they asked of I had another PC and yes I have an OLDER gaming PC thst is about 10 or 12 years old.

Well... when I had finished installing viveport it imidietly only gave me 1 option afther I logged it and it was to instal one of the setups, so I picket the file for Cosmos Elite. Before the install started it gave me the obvius message of "Hey! I think you need to update your driver" I press proceed anyway, then got the message "are you sure" well about 5-10ish min later it was done.

Support told me to copy the vive folder from my old PC them transfere it over to my main PC. 1 hr later the transfer was complete. 

I try to connect my Vr and.. nothing changed.

And this whole issue has been ongoing for about 2-3 weeks now.

I'm starring to beleave that the all support got to be people who has no clue in how the product work at all.