Distortion Correction Issue

thetrakynia

Hello,

I am noticing a slight warping of the displayed image as I turn my head in the Vive Focus. It seems as though the distortion correction shader is not entirely cancelling out the distortion from the lenses. The issue can be seen clearly near the edges of the view and is very visible when rotating the headset horizontally. Objects close to the outer edge of the view appear to warp further towards the periphery as the user rotates her head away from that side. There is also a smaller general warping in the middle of the view field that makes the virtual world sway slightly during rotation.

This issue is more pronounced after a session with the original Vive, which has no discernible distortion. Are there plans to refine the correction shader to more fully account for the distortion from the lenses? I think that might provide more comfort for all users and prevent nausea in those most susceptible.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm also seeing this. Interior stuff with a lot of close mechanical objects. For me I can't tell if it's the tracking or if there is actual screen space distortion. The scene geometry feels slightly floaty, it's either combining with visual warping, or maybe all of it is tracking only. I'm also used to the integrity of the Vive, maybe it's an inside out limitation.

I was also unsure at first whether it was related to the sometimes floaty/jittery positional tracking of the Focus, after some testing I am convinced that is not the case. If you use the Focus in a well-lit room with good features for tracking you can still see warping as you rotate your head. It's easier to see the issue if you move away from virtual objects before looking around. The warping is visible even on distant objects indicating that the positional tracking is not the problem.

Switching back and forth between an original Vive and the Focus makes the issue very obvious. I do think it's worth fixing because the distortion is distracting and presence breaking. I'm curious to know what the team thinks and if a fix would be feasible.

Thank you for the response. I created a quick graphic to better show what I think is happening.

The blue arrows indicate the direction of the unwanted warping. The red areas show the location and intensity of the warping. Near the middle of the display the warping is weakest and causes only a slight waver to the image as the headset is rotated. The very red areas are where the warping is most intense. Towards the edge of the view the warping relaxes.

Basically the barrel distortion of the shader does not seem to be fully counteracting the pin-cushion effect of the lenses in certain areas of the image. I hope this is helpful to the team.

I confirm, it's VERY swimmy out there.

Especially easy to see in the UE4 level "sea of cube"

Pressing eye closer to the lens (having a thiner foam would help), makes it a little better.

This definitely needs to be addressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks All for your analysis contribution, and our optical team and SDK software are working together to fine tune better parameters regarding this issue.

Could you help to provide ROM version and S/N from your side via below adb command?

So we can clarify more exactly the detail info. on our side.

Many thanks.

ROM info: adb shell getprop ro.build.description

S/N: adb shell getprop ro.serialno

Hi all,

I've seen similar "swimming" issues especially when rotating your head slightly from left to right from other developers in person but only at certain locations - can everyone test to make sure that the inside-out tracking is not a factor at all (as well as if possible if it's reproducible across different Focus devices?

best,

Dario

Archived