Vive Pro Tracking Lost with HoloLens looking at it

rcyr

Hi,

QUICK CONTEXT:

I work for a research center combining AR and VR. We have developed a network application where content is shared between someone in VR wearing HTC Vive and another person in AR wearing Microsoft HoloLens.

ISSUE

We have upgraded the Vive to the Vive Pro. Whenever the HoloLens looks straight at the Vive Pro, the later loses tracking right away until HoloLens looks away. The HoloLens can look at the front of the heaset or at the back of it, it does not matter. Tracking is persistently lost. Since HoloLens as a IR emitter, I believe this messes up with the IR emitted by the two base stations and the Vive Pro is confused. BUT, this has never been an issue with the first generation of Vive. It only happens with the new Vive Pro.

QUESTION

Any useful thought about this? Can a driver update fix the issue anytime soon?

As I understand it from our tests, IR emissions have not changed at all and we are in a closed from Sun light environment. The Vive Pro sensors are obviously handling IR in a different fashion than the Vive sensors though.

• 3 months later...

, sorry - It seems like this thread slipped by - there was another thread on this topic that we responded to. 

Overall, we have seen very limited reports (>10) of IR interference with the Pro. It's been restricted to a very specific type of developer/environment - namely cross-platoform devs and mocap studios. Some users have had issues with certain hardware revs of the Kinect.

I have reached out to Triad, the makers of the sensor ASICs for comment but not received any relevant info on this topic to date. I will try to bump that thread with them in hopes of getting an answer about IR interference. 

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to bump this thread because I'm competing with the same problem. I'm assuming there's something going on here with interference between the HoloLens IR emitters and the fact that the 2.0 base stations include data in their beams now.

This is kind of a deal-breaker in my situation... It's unfortunate because there's some cool and innovative stuff that could happen with merging the equipment.

Archived