Vive Pro adapter for backpack PCs

alejo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any possible additional solution? I have aMSI VR One and I have both a HDMI and Mini-Display port available, but since the Vive is plugged directly inside the HDMI, I suspect that the Mini-Display port is not "plugged directly" into the graphic card, so since I'll get the Pro in a couple of weeks I need to know if there are any news related to this issue or if there is a hacky solution in order to use it without buying a workstation just for the Vive Pro.

, Are you saying that you think that the mDP is connected into onboard graphics as opposed to the GPU proper? That would be surprising. You should be able to quickly confirm what chipset drives that port by reaching out to MSI. The issue will more likely be supplying power to the linkbox and overall cable management. I wouldn't see anything that would prevent you from using one of these backpacks as you would use a normal workstation in a worst case scenario. 

We're still working with other OEM partners on solving for backpack PC's and will publicly share any new developments that may arise. 

I did some test, basically trying to use the mini display port to see if the Vive works, using the HDMI for the monitor.

It turns out that although the Vive is recognized, SteamVR gives me a "Compositor is not available" error 400, so I suspect that the mini display port do not allow the use of the Vive.

I will ask directly MSI a clafirication on that and if its possible to solve the issue, mostly because it will make backpacks obsolete if a solution won't be found in short time, since...you know, you can buy the Vive Pro right now and you can't use it for this reason.

If you have any news please share them when you can

I reached MSI support, but they won't be available ( at least in Italy ) for at least a week, so I contacted another department asking for clarifications, so I'll wait for their response.

Reading the specification of the MSI VR One I can see that all 3 possible output ( HDMI, Mini Display Port and Type C ) supports 4k@60Hz ( see attached image ), so I guess I'll buy an adapter for also the Type C and see if it works...and let's hope it will

I was able to reach MSI support, and it's confirmed that the Vive Pro works with the MSI VR One using a Mini Display Port cable, this has been tested by both MSI and HTC.

A new 3-in-1 short cable is currently in production and it will be released likely at the end of August.

• 1 month later...

David, any updates about a cable solution with hooking up the Vive pro to a HP VR backpack?

I wish I did my research on this before blowing $1400 on the pro and now can't use it with my HP VR backpacks, why is HTC always making things difficult for people making the cable proprietary, now I'm gonna have to send this back, not gonna wait for ever.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...