Vive Pro audio quality

Madasafish

I don't think there is anything else you can do with software to address that. Since you have gone through this thread, you may have guessed that the bass/volume may be an egineering flaw. The pressure of the earcups on your ears may not be sufficient. 

What I and others have done is get some addon clamp/springs installed, designed by . You can download the 3d printable design. See here.

If you need someone to print it, go to 3dhubs.com and submit the design there. I got mine printed there for less than $13, shipped. It solved the issue for me, confirming that this is a hardware design flaw. 

Hope it helps.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Lestaticon for the suggestion. I appreciate it. I'll definitely give it a try. Though I kinda briefly checked pressing the headphones on my ears for improvement as I had read about it here; it does make a difference for sure, but nowhere near DAS or no where near satisfactory. My cheapest headphones sounded better than this. It amazes me how this was marketed with the product launch and not a single person at HTC checked it out before release.

Oh, now that doesn't sound good (pun not intended). I feel these headphones have a wider sound stage than the DAS set. I wonder if that's part of the trouble. They are less heavy bass, but a larger sound stage and very precise sounds. I also notice you need to get them right over your ears and siting flat against them. They sound very high end to me, but less bass than DAS.

wrote:

I don't have distorted or tinny audio. The volume is just way too low and there's no bass. Any ETA or update? This is sound quality is totally awful.

Same here. Exactly. No update. No fix. No help from support. There are some Windows sound equalizers and effects software you can get, at least one is even open source. I had kind of high hopes for a couple days but I wasn't willing to buy the full version. Don't get me wrong - I certainly have enough invested that if another $50 or $100 would fix the sound I would pay it without hesitation, but it wasn't that easy to set up and it was kind of a hassle. Here, check these out: https://windowsfish.com/best-windows-10-equalizer/

It has been a long time but I think I was playing with the one called FXsound and the APO product. Maybe you will find some joy in one of these. If you do, please post a recommendation. I still believe there is hope on the sofware side just because of the difference some of the things like the camera toggle and the Windows bass boost made. 

In the mean time, I have basically lost interest in the musical VR experiences I used to enjoy, Audioshield, TheWaveVR, thanks to the wimpy sound of the Vive Pro.

It is totally unbelievable that, like you said, not one single person could possibly have tested the sound. Had they not made the DAS it would be easier to accept that they didn't have a clue what customers want in a headset, but we know that somebody did understand at one point. How could that person not have raised a red flag during testing?

, we've actually been working with Nvidia on this to approach problems people have had on a driver level. The more recent Nvidia drivers contain tweaks that should result in improved audio performance when using the Nvidia driver (as opposed to the Vive multimedia audio usb driver). Most people report having better audio fidelity when using the Nvidia DP driver. It's important to remember that the hardware and software that's driving the HMD can have a tremendous effect on what is actually outputted to the drivers and that not all of what's reported has been reproducible, especially considering that audio is a subjective phenomena and everybody has different preferences towards the balance of the audio. You should be experiencing something similar to the DAS' audio profile. 

wrote:

, we've actually been working with Nvidia on this to approach problems people have had on a driver level. The more recent Nvidia drivers contain tweaks that should result in improved audio performance when using the Nvidia driver (as opposed to the Vive multimedia audio usb driver). Most people report having better audio fidelity when using the Nvidia DP driver. It's important to remember that the hardware and software that's driving the HMD can have a tremendous effect on what is actually outputted to the drivers and that not all of what's reported has been reproducible, especially considering that audio is a subjective phenomena and everybody has different preferences towards the balance of the audio. You should be experiencing something similar to the DAS' audio profile. 

So how do I make sure I am using the correct driver? There seem to be different audio devices present at different times, for example when SteamVR is running versus not. At the time I was actively trying to get this stuff to work I recall minor variations in the names, even when running the exact same hardware and software, for example (I am making this up to illustrate my point) "Vive Multimedia Audio" after one reboot and "Vive Pro Multimedia Audio" after another reboot an hour later, exact same everything. Thanks.

Just bought a new Vive Pro to replace my old Vive with DAS. I'm unhappy to tell you that the sound is terrible. It's not just terrible, it's hard to explain but it's "crackling" AFTER  almost each sound effect. Like you are talking in a walkie talkie and press the com-button. I've been trying to uninstall all sound drivers available and then install them again. It's the same with both Nvidia and HTC Vive Pro speaker drivers. It's the same sound even when SteamVR isn't running. HELP!

Have you tied to install the latest driver updates for the headset in steamVR? This was a known issue after official release of Vive Pro but they fixed it quickly. Since then I don't have any problems at all with my audio. Just make sure you have installed all HMD updates within SteamVR.

First of all that has nothing to do with audio drivers, since the audio doesn't go in the soundcard of the PC but it goes via DP/HDMI cable in the GPU . OP said he tried reinstalling his soundcard drivers, which is why there's no effect at all. It was a software issue from HTC which they fixed shortly after release. That's why he needs to update the drivers of the HMD directly from SteamVR, also latest GPU drivers recommended. I rarely give advices but when I do it's because I had the same issues and I know for sure what was the problem and how to fix it.