VIVE Pro tracking out, original works fine

Raging Beard

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

This might help someone.

I have a Logitech Wireless G903 gaming mouse and Powerplay Wireless charging pad.  Unplugging the pad fixed tracking drop out issues with the Vive Pro and 2 x 15LED base stations. All works 100% fine now.

I'm using my other Logitech G700s mouse instead and everything seems fine now. 

Try unplugging all your USB peripherals. You have a lot of devices there and any devices with a high polling rate or unusual USB activity can interfere with the Vive Pro.

Find a standard USB keyboard and mouse and if that doesnt work start looking for reflective surfaces or IR transmitters or repeaters you may have setup in the room. (like a Logitech Smart Hub)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issues as everyone else, apparently. One controller seems more fickle than the other. It sometimes "jumps" forward in my virtual hand by a few inches, and then jumps back. It also jitters a bit. On more than one occasion my world has gone askew, as if my HMD was falling off my head. And a couple of times the fickle controller has virtually floated out of my hand and fell slowly about ten feet away below the floor. I thought I'd lost it forever! ;) When I move them around, the eventually track right, but it's kind of making the fluidness of VR rather jerky at times.

I've removed all shiney tables from the room, and dawn the curtains and it still exhibits the effect. I don't have any other IR remotes working or turned on when using the Vive Pro. I do have an Xbox Kinect in the room, but it's not powered up at all. My base stations are about 15 feet apart, about 7'9" above the floor.

System: Asus X299-Deluxe, Intel i9-7900X, G. Skill 64 GB DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Samsung Pro 970 M.2, EVGA GTX1080 FTW

I've worked with the Vive HTC before, and the controllers always moved buttery smooth. This jittering I'm getting from these isn't very fun for use.

, first off - you should first isolate that it's not CPU/GPU bottlenecking which can be a factor with the Pro due to additional requirements. To do so: 

• Open your Frame Timing graph (SteamVR > Settings > Performance > “Display Frame Timing”) and look for frame timing spikes. If you see spikes, the issue is most likely related to CPU bottlenecking.

Next, it may be helpful to try other USB ports. Generally speaking, you want to find a port that's controlled by the CPU (i.e. an Intel controller) as opposed to some OEM controller (such as Asusmedia). You can also see if enabling/disabling the cameras affects the available USB bandwidth positively. 

Next, it may help to flip over to the SteamVR beta and install the latest firmware that's housed within the beta branch - There have been several firmware updates pushed by Valve which change the tracking behavior of 2.0 and they're specifically targeted towards inproving accuracy. 

• 1 month later...

Can a Vive rep please chime in on why a basestation setup that results in perfectly solid tracking on the original Vive would result in horrible tracking on the upgraded Vive Pro HMD? Does the Pro use inferior tracking sensors to the original Vive? This appears to be a common problem amongst people like me who have upgraded only their HMD while keeping the rest of their original Vive setups in tact. We would appreciate some answers.

• 1 month later...

I have same issue. I bought Vive pro about three months ago. It was working just fine till suddenly the tracking went terrible. Controllers flying away, grey screen flashing, stability inside the headset is going all over the place. I have tried everything to fix it but nothing works. My room still looks same, no reflective things.

This is not acceptable. Vive pro is very expensive and so many people having the same issue. HTC is acting like they don't see it. So I'm going to return it. And I'm going with different brand next time I'm gonna get VR. Thank you HTC for not giving sh*t about your customers. Vive pro = no thanks!

I think there are plenty of horror stories of people dealing with customer support (waiting many months...in two guys' case, years... for a replacements or refurbishments). I too was livid realizing that the original Vive had better tracking than the Pro.

However, I just wanted to send my appreciation to the support team ( and many more) that are active here on the forum. Even if not all solutions are able to be solved, you guys/girls have been the sole reason that I still have hair on my head and not pulled it all out :D

So as negative and pissed off we all get when posting on issues, I think I speak for everyone when I say thank you for responding and trying to work with us to help. Much better response time and help here than with the other venues of corporate support.

I found the solution!!! FIXED!

I had the same exact issue. The whole system looked like it is working, base stations been showing green light, steam was showing green icons BUT inside the headset my controllers been flying away from my hands, the whole tracking was terrible, it was flashing grey screen and stability was off. 

So the problem was one base station! Even it's showing like it is working, one of the base stations is broken and it is sending wrong data to the system and then the whole output inside headset is totally off.

I found out by running my vr system only on one base station through channel A. And on the station which is not broken it was working just fine, only when I turned my head completaly away it lost signal because it couldn't see all the sensors.

So you have to run your VR system only on one base station at the time on channel A (don't forget to do room setup after) and once you try both of them you will find out which one isn't working. Then you just need to get new base station and then your VR is FIXED!

I hope this solution will help everyone... maybe not but since my system was acting exactly like it is described in those messages I bealive this will FIX IT =]

Archived