Can I install Unity apps on a retail Vive Focus without Store submission?

nullchained

Hi everyone,

Company I work for just bought a Vive Focus. It was given to me and I was tasked to check some of our Unity apps (for Samsung Gear VR) could be installed on it.

After struggling with USB drivers, adb, etc. I'm beginning to think my PC (Windows 7 64b) will not be able to see my Focus as it is not a dev-kit.

Is it possible at all to place our apps on this great device without submitting them to the Store first?

It's possible to install developer apps without submission to Viveport if the apps are built based on Wave SDK.

However it may not workable normally if you copy apps (from Gear or others) and install inside Focus since the core of VR Mode might be different.

Thanks.

We are not porting anything. A new app was made using Wave SDK.

But how do I put it on my Focus?

This is what I tried so far:

1. Build & Run from Unity so it can be launched directly on my Focus (connected to PC)

No device to launch apk was found.

2. Put the apk on the server and use link to it in a VR Browser.

A "loading" message appeared for several seconds and disappeared. I cannot find the downloaded apk anywhere from within Focus VR interface.

3. Tried the ADB and similar tools, but Focus device cannot be found.

All right, we have a progress.

Windows detected the device (Vive Focus) but failed to install it properly, because it was unable to find a proper driver.

Searching for the driver using Google failed too.

I'll try to dig up something useful on this site.

Hi nullchained,

Did you try build and run from Unity again, despite your computer saying it can't install the driver? Note that your computer won't be able to see the Focus unless you put it in media mode in the settings. But you can build to it despite your computer not seeing it.

Kind regards,

Peter

That was the first thing I tried. Unity cannot find any device to run the apk on.

After selecting "Transfer files" option in the Focus, Windows tried to install it again as a "ADB Interface".

And it failed again.

I tried Build & Run from Unity again but to no effect.

Hi nullchained,

Hmm, that is a problem. It might be worth googling how to deal with this kind of problem when it happens with an Android device. Because the Focus is not much different than a normal Android device.

Kind regards,

Peter

After solving "ADB Interface" problem (basically forcing Windows to install an unsigned driver) Unity is still unable to find and launch the apk on Focus, but...

ADB tool started to list Focus under "devices" command. So I tried installing through ADB. And it worked!

I found my test app in My->Installed

It launched properly and I can see the content (simple 360 image) but there is no stereoscopic view and there is no head tracking :)

That's weird because I'm using Wave SDK prefab.

I guess it's up to Unity side of things now. Maybe need to set it up differently somehow.

Either way: it IS possible to launch an app on your retail version of Vive Focus.

To everyone searching a solution:

1. Enable USB Debugging in your Focus advanced options

2. Connect Focus to PC

3. Change Focus USB mode to File Transfer

4. Make sure Windows installed Focus properly ( I had a "ADB interface - no driver" issue and solved it using this method: 

)

5. Check "adb devices" command

6. Use "adb install your.apk" command (agree to install in Focus interface)

7. Look for your app in My -> Installed

Archived