Virtual Retinal Display for 2nd-gen Vive?

sinisterID

Everything is just rumor at this point surrounding the technical details of the 2nd-gen Vive, but I'm curious to know if anyone here owns an Avegant Glyph, and if so, would you consider VRD to be a superior display technology to LCD? The current Vive is quite cumbersome, so I can't help thinking that the next gen Vive would adopt the lighter, more energy-efficient technology offered by VRD. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

You're right, the field of view for the Glyph is right around 40 degrees. Or the equivalent of a 60 inch television from 8-9 feet away. I was more curious if anyone had insight as to the image quality of the glyph versus existing LCD headsets. The glyph only has a 720p resolution, but the general reviews indicate the image is incredibly crisp compared to higher resolution LCD displays.

The field of view for VRD could scale up to 210 degrees (near standard human vision) with modern day short-throw technology. So HTC could go that route if they were interested. The benefits are substantial over traditional LCDs: lighter weight, more energy efficient, perfect image focus (regadless of vision prescription). But it would likely be significantly more expensive due to the lack of existing demand for VRD products.

I think the most logical next step for the 2nd-gen Vive is a pair of curved AMOLED LCDs that will provide 200+ degrees in field of view.

Archived