Positioning the headsed in the roomscale

Damir

Actually, it probably is necessary to also access the Focus' dll's, because I think the code for accessing the pointmap the Focus generates is also in the dll's. I think the dll provides some sort of positional matrix for pose, and I don't know if that will be enough to relate to a reference pointmap. But maybe it would be. It would really help to get some feedback from someone who understands all this a lot better :) Maybe we should post a question on StackExchange.

StackExchange is a website for asking questions about this kind of stuff. I took a look, and it turns out StackExchange is actually a group of sites. The one we would want is StackOverflow, because that one deals with programming questions.

I am also working on something similar and my solution was ultimately the simple one mentioned earlier. Namely, having the headset be initialized in a specific portion in the real world. I dealt with the drift by having it enter an initialization state where the controller button would cause the headset to be repositioned to (0,0,0) in the virtual space, removing any drift that had been accrued. This way, after the main experience someone causes it to enter the initialization state, places it on a marker, and presses the button to have it be at (0,0,0) in the real world and in vr.

That's a nice solution! But does that mean that the drift is that severe? How big is the room you guys are using? How long is the experience? What distances are people travelling? Is the drift so severe that it would be impossible to have multiple people in the experience, and have them know where other people around them are accurately enough that they won't bump into each other? I intend to post the question about using a reference frame on StackOverflow today by the way.

Archived