Setup instructions

buffalovision

Quick on-boarding questions, I don't see these answered in the Jan 6th Guide doc:

1) will an adapter for the DisplayPort cable interfere with performance? My VR-ready laptop (w 1060) doesn't have DisplayPort, but it has HDMI and mini-DisplayPort.
2) I suspect DevKitUpgrade.zip on the sharepoint is important, but reluctant to run it without seeing specific mention of it in the docs or forum... 

Cheers!

Resolved over email. For posterity:

1) Pro does not support HDMI. So you’ll need to go mini-DP to DP or mini-DP to mini-DP. The cable needs to be 4k, active, bidirectional. I picked this up and it's working fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HNF0L2C

2) it is used to update headset firmware (in my case it was not necessary)

To clarify further, the DevkitUpgrade.zip firmware updater is only necessary if you received a kit early on that did not have working front facing cameras. To test, go to SteamVR Settings and test the camera as shown below.  There may be times when the camera isn't found in SteamVR settings and it isn't the firmware. You may need to make sure that there aren't stray SteamVR processes or power down and poiwer up the link box.

wrote:

Resolved over email. For posterity:

1) Pro does not support HDMI. So you’ll need to go mini-DP to DP or mini-DP to mini-DP. The cable needs to be 4k, active, bidirectional. I picked this up and it's working fine:

2) it is used to update headset firmware (in my case it was not necessary)

Yes we tested that cable and it works well.  Also if you have a laptop with GPU ouput to USB C, you can use a USB C to mini-DisplayPort cable. Here are a couple that work:

Archived