Shaking image in HMD

justintd

Very interesting. Do you know if it's one or the other than seems to be the culprit? In other words, does it happen more often when you're facing one direction? You said it gets better when you get closer, and presumably worse when you get further away.

It's very strange.

Thank you,

-John C

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shaking reduces when I'm close to either one. The lower one might be better but, maybe, only because it's closer to my head. My only guess is vibrations. I want to reduce them as much as possible. I wonder if other people have the same issue but just don't notice it. For example, I've seen a lot of people on reddit that act like their subpar PC is running games perfectly when it would be impossible that they're not in major reprojection. I notice any reprojection immediately.

One more thing

1. it seems to me that the base station is too inclined down.

2. You can video shoot vibrations in HMD on a solid support in the center area. /Desk,Chair.../ for how much vibrations are.

3. Is SteamVR updated in your Steam account> SteamVR-tools-library

Vive has a very precise tracking, sometimes my hands/body shake and controlers or HMD too :)

I tried the Vive Tracker on my heart and it is visible shake :)

Those are both worth a try, though I've never personally seen the shudders caused by the type of USB port, it'd be interesting to see if that was somehow the cause. (I can't imagine how, since the base stations aren't actually using USB, but...)

Thank you,

-John C

Synthesis, I haven't tried taking them down and putting them on a solid surface like a desk yet. I tried them on tripods, and that didn't help. It made it worse.

3DA, I've tried the base stations at multiple angles and positions. Video shoot vibrations? I don't know what you mean. You can only tell they're vibrating if you touch them. Yes, SteamVR is updated. I'm not on the beta. I know I still shake a little bit, but the image shakes independent of that. It does not match my own movements. When I'm in the center, this is most visible. I already tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 on two different PCs. No difference.

Thanks for the video. It's true that the base stations do vibrate slightly, but it shouldn't be enough to cause this to happen on it's own. That's why I was hoping you'd have a stable surface to place them on to test. If it's still shaking even when you've ruled out the mounts as the problem, then we'll have some new options.

Thank you,

-John C

Synthesis/John, I just tried the base stations sitting on solid surfaces roughly the same distance as the mounts are from each other, and it was the same issue (obvious jitter of close up objects). Sync cable is always used. I re-did room setup too. Will covering or painting white walls/ceilings help?