Vive without Steam!

Well, you develop HTC Vive and what this person is asking is for an HTC Vive that can be used without Steam.

Is it possible or the only way is to run this connection to Steam, at least once?

Because I was intending to use it also for educational or training purposes at colleges, offices or plants and will face the same problem: no secure connection to Steam.

Vive does not have an alternative to Steam VR in such cases??

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work at a major vehicle manufacturing company in the Southeast Region and we just purchased the HTC Vive this week to use with our 3d factory model. Seeing as how our IT department has Steam blocked the only thing that was able to be installed was a bunch of bloatware (Vive Port, ViveVR Port, Vive Dashboard) which does nothing but give access to buy games.

So how are we supposed to use our HTC Vive without Steam?

• 3 weeks later...

Can you all please send me a PM with your corporate/professional email address? Thanks

Moderator edit:  

We now offer a tool called the Vive Enterprise Device Manager that’s able to handle network management of SteamVR distributions. It enables SteamVR to be deployed without the need for the Steam client on secured/firewalled networks.

This tool is available to all Enterprise Advantage customers. For more information about the tool, or to download and activate it please visit https://enterprise.vive.com/us/product/dms/. If you have further questions, you can submit a support ticket here: https://developer.vive.com/us/contactus/

Just to clarify, you can run without the Steam client but SteamVR is still required. But if the issue is really about not requiring a login or internet access for locked down installations, you can try copying over the SteamVR folder and running SteamVR\bin\win32\vrmonitor.exe