How to Set Up Full Body Tracking

TheReflectingVoid

Hi ,

Since affordable body tracking is a pretty new development, there is no real software standard for how to get bodytracking to work and it's currently handled on an application by application basis. Upon the consumer release of Vive Tracker, many apps will support the Vive tracker natively but it's up to individual developers to chose they ways in which they'll implement it. In most cases you'll need some type of body strap. Are you trying to do development with the tracker, mocap, or for general usage? 

I am interested in the consumer applications.  I have no techncial knowledge and am not a developer.  Predominately I am trying to get full body tracking in VR Chat so that I can dance with full body tracking with the HTC Vive in roomscale.  And from there I'll eventually use it for other games or applications that support it.  From what I understand it should support it once I properly set up the trackers with SteamVR and that compatible programs will be able to read them on my body appropriately.  I know you can get the TrackStraps for feet but was curious how you would get the waist tracker to connect to your body.  After some thinking it became pretty obvious that you could just wrap the tracker around a belt.  That would work would it not?  Alternatively I was thinking you could use some kind of mounting bracket to pin it through a belt hole but I am not sure what that would be.

Obviously not a lot of applications support full body tracking but it is something that really excites me after spending a few hours full-on dancing in VRChat in the various club worlds.  I used to dance at nearby goth clubs and really want to replicate that at home.

For VRChat specifically, you don't need to rig an avatar if you use their rig (which makes things much simpler).

https://docs.vrchat.com/v1.0/docs/creating-your-first-avatar

But even if you had to rig a model, free online services (e.g. Mixamo) can provide that for your models.  If you're not implementing the app yourself (e.g. VRChat provides it's own IK for its models) then you would also need an IK solution for your app. There's a number of IK packages out there to use, for a basic implementation in Unity you can look at HTC's IK demo that uses the trackers for real time motion capture but you may need a developer's help to customize it.

https://github.com/ViveSoftware

Currentlly we're refining that IK demo example to make it easier to set up with trackers, but if you have three trackers (yes one can attach to your belt) you can have full real time body tracking with that demo irght now but it requires an intial setup (an executable is available to try it out).

As Dario mentioned. Full body tracking in VR Chat is dependant on the avatar you use, if the rigging is not suited to full body tracking then it won't work very well. Some of the VR Chat standard avatars work well with full body tracking, I would try to find one that works to make sure everything is setup properly at your end and the trackers are working properly. There is a section in the VR Chat discord for full body tracking and chances are any question you may have would be answered there. Good luck getting it to work well, it's a matter of experimentation.

Regards: Jack

• 2 weeks later...

So what’s the process of getting them to work though (for VRChat). All I know is that you can buy three extra trackers with the straps, connect them to the vive, then.... I don’t know what to do from there. Is there a step by step process that shows how to set up full body tracking for the vive? ( Specifically VRChat)

So what’s the process of getting them to work though (for VRChat). All I know is that you can buy three extra trackers with the straps, connect them to the vive, then.... I don’t know what to do from there. Is there a step by step process that shows how to set up full body tracking for the vive? ( Specifically VRChat)

• 1 year later...

Archived