Vive Pro tips, tricks, issues

Jad

We'll keep this thread updated with some tips & tricks for testing with Vive Pro developer kits.

1. Be sure your base stations are updated to the latest firmware when testing with Vive Pro. Avoid testing with Vive Pre base stations if possible. If you are testing with a single base station, instead of both base stations, be sure to set the base station to channel A. 

2. Be sure to use DisplayPort 1.2 or higher if you switch to any third party DisplayPort or mini-DisplayPort cables. Pro does not support HDMI cables or adapters. We are working on cable extension options and backpack PC cable options with more to share at a later date.  

3. If you encounter a SteamVR compositor error or lose connection to the HMD, just power cycle using the blue button on the link box.

4. Vive Pro developer kits will continue to receive firmware updates through SteamVR. 

5. There was a known performance issue with SRWorks SDK on Windows 10 + NVIDIA Pascal series GPU (GeForce GTX 1080/1070/1060) with earlier driver versions.  Please ensure you have NVIDIA driver update v. 390.77 or later installed. 

Please continue to report any issues you may encounter with the SDKs here in the forums. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hey! 

So I have been trying to get my vive pro to work, and the keep getting the compositor error. No matter how many times I power cycle the box, restart my computer, etc. I still get the same 'compositor failed to launch' or the Shared IPC compositor connect failed. I still have not seen any images out of the pro

Now I've gotten it to the point where there are no errors, but the headset light is still red, and nothing is showing up :( Its still tracking and everything! when I do the 'headset mirror' its fine, just nothign in headset :(

Except that's not the case with the Pro now as it uses one connector on the link box side. With the Pro it's only dport out to PC now so for most desktop GPU cards it should be ok but for laptops (since they use mini-dport or only hdmi) you do need to get a separate cable and not just any cable or adapter it must be 4K active bi-directional.

Also enable camera in SteamVR monitor settings and see if it detects it (press test button to confirm). You may need to try different USB ports (as long as it's USB 3).

We can follow up via PM to address firmware issues if all else fails.

wrote:

Now I've gotten it to the point where there are no errors, but the headset light is still red, and nothing is showing up :( Its still tracking and everything! when I do the 'headset mirror' its fine, just nothign in headset :(

Hi could you confirm what cable you are using from the link box to the PC? Is it the mini-DP to DP cable that was included with the Pro, or are you using a third party cable or adaptor?  Connecting to HDMI would result in the error you are seeing, as the Pro does not support HDMI and there are no HDMI adaptors that will work.  

However, if you are using the DP cables it shipped with, then it's possible there might be a failure in the stock cable, either the link box to PC cable or the hmd cable. And if that is the case, we would need to ship you a replacement. Let me know. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
I'm trying to get the SRWorks demo to work and I'm hitting an issue where the camera consistently freezes/stops that sounds similar to the previous nvidia/pascal gpu issue. Specifically I'm seeing the camera capture for a short period and then it freezes on a frame and won't update again. The headset and controller tracking continues to work but nothing else functions due to the lack of the camera feed. Subsequent restarts of the demo freeze on a single camera frame and don't update after that until I reset the link box. Is there a suggested method for debugging this issue? I'd like to get the demo working reliably before I start diving into code. Thanks!

Nvidia Driver: 391.35
GPU: GTX 1070
SteamVR: Latest beta
SteamVR says all device firmware is up to date

wrote:

I'm trying to get the SRWorks demo to work and I'm hitting an issue where the camera consistently freezes/stops that sounds similar to the previous nvidia/pascal gpu issue. Specifically I'm seeing the camera capture for a short period and then it freezes on a frame and won't update again. The headset and controller tracking continues to work but nothing else functions due to the lack of the camera feed. Subsequent restarts of the demo freeze on a single camera frame and don't update after that until I reset the link box. Is there a suggested method for debugging this issue? I'd like to get the demo working reliably before I start diving into code. Thanks!

Nvidia Driver: 391.35
GPU: GTX 1070
SteamVR: Latest beta
SteamVR says all device firmware is up to date

Yes that sounds similar to the previous issue that was resolved with driver update. And it appears you are on the latest driver. We'll look into this tomorrow and follow-up with you.

wrote:

Update on my issue: I updated my nvidia driver to 397.31 (released today) and the demo seems to be working as expected.

Thanks again!

Ok great. Yes I've been testing toady with 397.31 and have been unable to reproduce the issue. Let me know if you run into any other issues. 

Archived