Bluetooth Link communication failed

evyatron

I had basicly the same issue, tacking worked fine but was unable to set channel or enable power saving

Solved it by

1.lauch steam as admin (may not be needed) 

2.uninstall steamVR from tools

3.Delete the steam VR folder from documents and Steam install folder/appdata/common

4.Restart PC (may not be needed)

5.Reinstall steamVR

This solved it for me even checked after reboot etc

Since day one of owning the vive (from when they first came out) I have ALWAYS had issues with the whole system.  Some times it works flawless as if no issues, then you can just turn it on one day and it struggles to detect base stations, or you get no audio or a blue screen on the headset even if you were only just using it the night before without issue this is no guarantee it will work the next day.

I think most of the faults are down to drivers/usb, but why they should fail especially if all you might have done is shut down the pc.  For me the solution that often works is just inplug it from one usb port and put it in another (usb3/2 makes no real different, a possible scapegoat).

One of the biggest issues I have had since day one which can disappear for months but then return later with vengeance.  If I press the menu button (one under the trackpad) the vive controller (any controller doesn't matter) locks up, the controllers will start flashing in SteamVR app and say "Controller disconnected", both base station icons turn grey but then 30 seconds later show online again. the headset turns blue.  You have to wait 30 seconds or so, hold down the menu button on the joypad and then it connects again, and works right.   This is issue is very random, I have never ever found a fix for it, USB2 possibly makes the issue happen even more.

Edited by Emexrulsier

• 1 year later...

Just a though.  I had this Bluetooth link problem and I don't know if this was really the problem, but I noticed a blue button on the link box and noticed after pressing it that a little LED light went on or off.  So I'm thinking all along my Bluetooth link was down because of this small button I must have accidentally pressed.  Anyway, that was after doing to complete USBDeview routine.... so not sure ... but I was very surprised about this button.

I would highly recommend to check that you have the green LED on the Link Box.  Good luck.

@EricD The button on newer link boxes is a physical power button. That button should power the entire headset on/off and the bluetooth circuitry in the link box.

On some models of linkbox like Vive Pro, the bluetooth module used to communicate with the basestations is embedded in the Linkbox. Those situations are the only ones in which the linkbox's power state would affect Bluetooth (Pro/Pro 2). That said, the linkbox was off, the entire headset should be off as well unless you're using Vive wireless.

I highly recommend using this app if you're iOS: https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/bs-companion/id1533473030

• 1 year later...

My new Vive wireless router is nice, nice to cut the umbilical cord. But since installing the wireless adapter my base stations don't wake up unless I use an app on my phone to manually wake them up (Lighthouse PM app). I tried removing all my bluetooth drivers in device manager and rebooting my computer and letting them re-install. Still doesn't work. Bluetooth is on in SteamVR but it says "Link box with bluetooth capability not detected." Any ideas?

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2023 at 1:08 AM, ntblood said:

My new Vive wireless router is nice, nice to cut the umbilical cord. But since installing the wireless adapter my base stations don't wake up unless I use an app on my phone to manually wake them up (Lighthouse PM app). I tried removing all my bluetooth drivers in device manager and rebooting my computer and letting them re-install. Still doesn't work. Bluetooth is on in SteamVR but it says "Link box with bluetooth capability not detected." Any ideas?

You will have to leave your linkbox plugged in and powered for SteamVR to use the BT onboard waking up your lighthouses. 

• 4 weeks later...

If you're experiencing a "Bluetooth Link communication failed" issue, there are a few potential solutions you can try to resolve the problem. Here are some tech-related steps you can take:

1. Ensure Bluetooth is enabled: Check that Bluetooth is turned on both on the device you're trying to connect with and on your own device. Sometimes, the Bluetooth setting might accidentally be disabled, leading to connection issues.

2. Restart devices: Turn off both devices involved in the Bluetooth connection and then turn them back on. This simple step can often help establish a fresh connection and resolve any temporary glitches.

3. Check device compatibility: Verify that the devices you're attempting to connect are compatible with each other. Certain older devices or devices from different manufacturers may have compatibility limitations that prevent successful Bluetooth connections. Refer to the user manuals or product specifications to confirm compatibility.

4. Update firmware and drivers: Ensure that your device's firmware and drivers are up to date. Manufacturers often release software updates that address connectivity issues and improve Bluetooth performance. Visit the manufacturer's website or use the provided software utility to check for and install any available updates.

5. Clear Bluetooth cache (Android): On Android devices, Bluetooth-related problems can sometimes be resolved by clearing the Bluetooth cache. Go to the device's settings, locate the Bluetooth settings, and find the option to clear the Bluetooth cache. Afterward, try reconnecting the devices.

6. Remove and re-pair devices: If the previous steps didn't resolve the issue, try removing the Bluetooth pairing between the devices and then re-pairing them. This process usually involves going to the Bluetooth settings, selecting the problematic device, and choosing the option to forget or unpair it. Afterward, initiate the pairing process again and follow the necessary steps to establish a fresh connection.

7. Check for interference: Bluetooth signals can be affected by nearby electronic devices or obstacles. Ensure there are no physical barriers or strong electromagnetic sources (such as Wi-Fi routers or microwave ovens) that could interfere with the Bluetooth connection. Moving closer to the connected device may also help improve the signal strength.

8. Reset network settings (iOS): For Apple iOS devices, resetting the network settings can sometimes resolve persistent Bluetooth issues. Go to the device's settings, navigate to General > Reset, and select "Reset Network Settings." Note that this will remove saved Wi-Fi passwords, so make sure to have them handy for reconnection.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I understand your frustration with the Vive and its Bluetooth connectivity issues. It can be quite a hassle when the Base Stations don't go to sleep or fail to wake up. While there isn't a magic solution, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can try to improve the situation. First, make sure you have the latest drivers and firmware installed for the Vive system. Additionally, check if there are any firmware updates specifically for the Base Stations. Sometimes, a firmware update can address connectivity issues. Another option is to try using a different USB port for the Link Box to rule out any potential port-related problems. You may also want to check if there are any conflicting applications or devices that could interfere with the Bluetooth connection. Lastly, consider visiting the manufacturer's website for any official troubleshooting guides or forums where you can seek further assistance from the Vive community. Hopefully, these steps can help resolve the Bluetooth link problems and improve your overall experience with the Vive.

• 1 month later...

I am having this issue right out of the box. Tried all of the suggested solutions except for the ones requiring a computer science degree... uninstalled, reinstalled, cleared, restated, unplugged, replugged, swapped, tried 8 different ports, put the base stations on top of the link box, downloaded firmware updates, went to the dark web and downloaded random driver clearing tools, begged... nothing worked. All my other Bluetooth devices from all other manufacturers work fine. I am seeing very little support for HTC on this issue. The lack of support and generalistic excuses are staggering. We are talking about a $1500 product that can't get Bluetooth to work. I will attempt to return the product but I am sure it will be a difficult process. Unbelievable

• 7 months later...
On 7/26/2017 at 12:13 AM, Synthesis said:

The Vive system is composed of about 9 different USB drivers, including Bluetooth, controllers, camera, receivers and audio, among others. Due to different reasons, like software updates, change of connections, system updates or malfunction of a device, the USB drivers might get into conflict and reinstalling them is a good way to get everything back to its working state.

1. Go to SteamVR > Settings > Developer.
  2. Click on Remove All SteamVR USB Devices.
  3. Once finished, the program will prompt a confirmation of the process.
  4. Disconnect the Link box AC Adapter and the Link box USB cable from the computer.
  5. Close SteamVR.
  6. Connect the AC Adapter back to the Link box and then connect the USB cable directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port.
  7. Open SteamVR and check if all the devices all properly recognized, by going to SteamVR > Settings > USB > Refresh.
    1. These are the default drivers:

Vive Link Box:

·         Hub

·         Hub Controller

·         Bluetooth

Vive Headset:

·         Watchman Board

·         Camera

·         Audio Device

·         Main Board

·         Wireless Receiver 1

·         Wireless Receiver 2

Note: This list includes the drivers of the devices directly connected to the computer by USB, as it is the HMD and Link box. Controllers and Base Stations are connected to the headset through Bluetooth and then to the computer, so these devices are not going to be visible on this list.

Try the steps above and see if that works for you.

Thanks,

-John C

i see that is the best solution for this case, thx synthesis.