How to Update the Viveport Client When Troubleshooting

HackPerception

When troubleshooting issues with the Viveport client, it is recommended that you start by first ensuring that the client is updated to the most recent version. This fixes most common errors currently encountered by Viveport users. If you are having difficulty launching titles, also attempt to disable your antivirus and firewalls as part of your troubleshooting process. 

The current Viveport client is Version 1.2.7(r50)

When posting on the community about issues with Viveport please list the following in your post: client version, OS, any antivirus/firewall software currently installed, which titles (if any) are affected, and as detailed of a report as you can provide describing your specific issue. Providing this information is helpful for our engineering team. 

In order to update your Viveport client to the latest version, launch your current Viveport client, navigate to the “Settings” pane, and select the “Check for Updates” button under the “About” header. Then follow the on-screen instructions to ensure that you have the current version 1.2.7(r40).

Note: If you're client predates version r1076, it is recommended that you uninstall Viveport, and reinstall the current version via vive.comAs of November 27th, 2017, we will be dropping support for clients older than v. 1.0.8889 (r1076). In order to access your content, you'll be required to download and install a newer version of the PC client. 

• 3 weeks later...

Great guide!

I would share a personal experience though. I was stuck at r1024 for a while thinking it was the most recent. I finally got an email saying I needed to update. Every time I clicked "Check for Updates" it said I'm at the current version, which obviously isn't true. Only after allowing the client to stay open for a little while (a few minutes) and trying again, did it finally offer a software update (I have no network issues or hardware issues). I suspect that launching the client and immediately going for the "Check for Updates" was the issue. I imagine the "Check for Updates" button doesn't actually reach out and check for updates, but perhaps the client gets an update notification pushed to it after certain things have loaded (the store, etc.) and once that is there, the "Check for Updates" button will offer the update it was notified of. Pure speculation, but perhaps needs a rework to help keep users up to date.

TLDR: If you click check for updates and don't see an update when you should, wait a few minutes and try again.

• 4 months later...

I received an email saying I had yo update my viveport client and as mine was earlier than r1076 it suggested I uninstall then reinstall, the uninstall went fine. Installing on the other hand, downloaded the file, got through the Ts&Cs, clicked install, just hangs with the windows spinner thing going round and round saying 339MB to download.

I've now been in conversation with support for 3-4 days and getting no where fast.
Is there any other way to get support with the installer, or an offline installer?

Thanks,

Dave.

Sorry for the late reply, it was hard to see this here. What has support recommended thus far? Which country are you in and on which OS are you trying to install from? The old installation may have left behind some junk files that are preventing the new files from being written. Try checking the install path and seeing if there are old files there and deleting it or choosing a new installation directory. Make sure that when you open ViveSW.exe that you're right clicking and choosing "install as administrator". During the download process it may help to disable any antivirus software you have running in the background as well. 

Sorry for the late reply, it was hard to see this here. What has support recommended thus far? Which country are you in and on which OS are you trying to install from? The old installation may have left behind some junk files that are preventing the new files from being written. Try checking the install path and seeing if there are old files there and deleting them or choosing a new installation directory (this seems easiest). Make sure that when you open ViveSW.exe that you're right clicking and choosing "install as administrator". During the download process it may help to disable any antivirus software you have running in the background as well. 

Hi Thanks for the reply,

My OS is Win 10 ver 1709, build 16299.98.

So far support have suggested retrying with AV and firewall disabled, I tried this but got the same results, installer hangs then says not responding. Yesterday I did receive an email saying they have escalated the issue.

I am currently trying your suggestion of run as admin, AV/FW disabled and another install dir, deleted the old one and let the installer create a new one but this appears to be doing the same thing. Will leave it running for a while to see if it bursts into life.

Thanks,
Dave.

• 7 months later...

I cannot install the Viveport Desktop App on my PC to gain access to settings.

Also, when I attempt to launch the Vive VR dashboard, I'm forever stuck on the portal platform with an "Acquiring content" progress bar stuck at around 30%.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived