flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

Another thing I forgot to say, but I see some people mentions is that it always start when looking down. Not necesariy at your feet, but always at the ground. I still think it is related to heat, as heat goes up, so when looking down heat goes inside the helmet. But I agree, if this didn´t happen months ago, it should ALSO be related to software.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrote:

Good idea. I wanted to ask the same.

HTC staff, please, write here links to firmware, steam, steam vr , driver for nvidia. All version of this must be from February or first 10 days of March. As I noticed, before the middle of March all was OK. We will try use this.

I completely agree, my problem started in March. I don't think it is a problem from May but further in time.

I have definitely had the problem looking down, but I can't say that's most of it. The ones that really yank my crank are the ones where I am not looking down, where I've got a base station four or five feet away well within its 120º field of view. I will say that the first time it happened I was definitely looking down because I remember in Firebird story there is a place where they have you chasing this "dog" creature trying to grab a magic blinky thing and it was during that that I had my first grey-out.

I wonder how rare we are. Generally, people come to support forums with some kind of a problem so it is not unusual to find high percentages of participants to be somewhat dipleased over one thing or another and to get the idea that "this is broken for everyone so why haven't they already fixed it and why are they ignoring the probem?" But I wonder if there are hundreds of happy Vive users out there enjoying untainted immersion for every one of us who is having this issue.

I do not agree entirely with you. What you're saying would be more appropriate for a case where, a lot of people are complaining about, their Vive were too heavy or too uncomfortable or some other thing that is just the way it is. In this case is about a problem which has nothing to do with some of the negatives that is known. ( By negatives I don't point out something in particular, as I'm quite happy with my Vive overall, but you know people always find something to complain about). So, we are dealing with a problem which ruins the whole purpose of our gadget. And when you see that a lot of people response in this forum + eventually others who for some reason or another are looking for their answers somewhere else... you know how the things are going.  

I'm not considering myself for one of the angry type, that are threathening or something, I just plead to HTC  to escalate this issue loud enough so we could get our problem solved. Personally I believe that HTC are not in the VR bis. for just a year or so, they are one of the settlers of the foundation of the VR industry and they are here to stay. That's why they should not see things like: "well only few unhappy customers having this problem, but you know what ... we have a million happy ones, so why bother?". 

In general I understand what was your point Martin, but I just think that's not the case you're talking about. I still don't regret my purchase even having this issue for quite some time and right now is close ot unusable, but I believe that somehow HTC will figure that out. 

Hi again so some update:

After repositioning base stations so that the beams dont hit absolutely anytihng reflective it works without grey screens or flashing for me for extended periods of time.

In conclusion it seems to me that if temperatures are high enough or the sensors get warm enough there is either some kind of heat interference or the sensor sensitivity changes. When this happens the slightest reflective surface (like a door knob or the metalic armrest of my chair) can cause grey flashes.

I fixed the problem for me but would like to know if this is a software or hardware issue or if it is just issues of sub optimal placement and interference

I thought like DevilDuckwhen i tested for 2 hours with covered reflecting surface. But in few days grey flushing came back. Gray appeared less, but still it does not allow to play normally.

At now my quation for all: When i have played 2 hours - temperature of headset (front side, higher the camera) riche to around 42C. If i just headset connect to power (don't turn on PC) and still it for few hours then temperature of headset riche to around 42C.

42 degrees is estimate by sight, I did not messure.

All of them also?

Is it normal?

, I agree with everything you just said.

However, still, I wonder how many of us are trouble-free. The reason it is on my mind is because I have participated in several social interactions in VR recently, including an amazing show at theWaveVR. In none of these were the people talking abot problems or upset because they would have to make a temporary exit to rest/reset their HMD/software/computer.

That just got me thinking whether we were part of a small minority. So it's not so much the attitudes I'm wondering about as the actual numbers.

And I too, definitely do not regret the purchase because I think we are into a new revolutionary technology and the ride is not to be without a few bumps. Hope they get it sorted soon, though, because I'm jonesing for some quality immersion.

Yeah I got your idea, but still... think about it. Doesn't matter if let's say we are 50 customers in total having this issue so far against 800.000. Who knows if the number of the customers having this issue is growing or it's about to grow ? No one... you haven't heard of this problem yet because 

1. As you said, customers with that problems are not so many so far.

2. I believe every one of them is still patient enough (like they should, having in mind that this whole technology/industry is new), and they still feel like the right thing to do right now is to turn to HTC to figure out that problem.

And still everybody knows that if this issue remains unsolved for a long time, some of these customers eventually will start complain about it somewhere, be it youtube, or some tech forums etc. You can imagine the competitor's fanboys how much will blow this case out, and then it will eventually hurt at some proportion HTC Vive departament.  And that's not good for the long run ... especially when you know that there are a lot of new comers to this new industry. And as of today for me Vive is the king of VR not only because I found it superior with the specs and tracking, but also so far I'm happy with the customer care. I believe HTC is trying to do their best to make things right. 

Overall .... that is why I don't believe that anybody would pass this issue just like that, because we (the customers having this issue) are just a drop in the ocean. Sometimes one single drop can paint the whole pool in different color. :) 

HTC team, could you find any ways to solve this problem? Please inform us about you trying. What methods

you've tried, what it's results. We are waiting and believe in you. Please show us your efforts.