flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrote:

When I cover the sensor the problem seems to vanish, but the feeling is that the tracking is slightly less stable (other sensors may also be involved when the temperature increases further). It's winter now where I live, so to bring out the problem I have to artificially raise the ambient temperature, but I'm sure that in 2 or 3 months it will become very difficult for me to use this headset. Anyway, in my opinion, covering the sensor can be seen as a temporary solution and a definitive solution should come from the HTC technical staff. It seems very strange that after almost a year there is still no solution to the problem...

I agree. Although a number of us have sent in malfunctioning HMDs they have been unable to recreate the problem, therefore they have been unable to solve the problem.

I think we should give more visibility to this issue that afflicts many users, because it would be right to know it before buying the VIVE. I feel that this flaw is present in most of the headset sold and that it is only a matter of time for the prooblema to came out, otherwise it would not explain the behavior of the HTC assistance, which seems to want to hold over more than solve.

I've thought about that. I hate to stick it to the support guys because they have tried I think, at least when they were working with me. I hate to stick it to Vive because we're all invested in that platform. That being said I find it just incredible that they coulnd't recreate problem with all the headsets we sent in. I think they owe me a 100% working headset that I paid for, one that works without a bandage, but I don't want another replacement of the same flawed design and I can't go through a 4 month wait like the one gentleman described. AND I really really really wonder if the new Vive Pro revealed at CES will correct the problem. So I guess, without beating around the bush, what I want is for them to send me a new & improved Vive Pro and a return label and I'll put my old one in the box and send it back and live happily ever after. IDK if new HMD works with old base stations, etc etc.

, I recently started getting the grey screen problems after around 1-1.5 hrs of gameplay. I tried alligning base stations, use with/without sync cable, removed all reflective surfaces and reinstalling drivers and changing USB ports...  nothing helped until I read this forum and slapped on a piece of tape over the front right sensor. The grey screens have stopped occuring. 

The problem for me is in fact isolated to the front right sensor when the HMD gets hot after around an hour of gameplay. My house is currently being heated for the winter months and it just so happens that my game room is one of the rooms closest to my heat pump and therefore is heated up hotter than the rest of the house. This is why I am just now noticing the grey screens. I am very sorry to hear that HTC support has not been able to replicate this because for me I can easily reproduce.

, thank you for posting your "fix" and thank you to everyone else who has been posting in the forums. If HTC cannot offer a real solution, at least we have individuals in the community who are willing to share their experiences to get us by.

, we want answers.... 

Glad it worked for you, .

You better believe back at the beginning we ALL tried ALL that stuff. As I recall, I found that occluding some sensors would bring my HMD out of the fog but it was someone else who actually isolated the exact sensor, so we all owe that guy a beer.

My story went down basically the same as yours, everything was perfect and then when spring came it started to grey out, we now know due to the temps. I really don't even think about the bandage any more, though I hope when the time comes to trade up my HMD to a VIve Pro they don't give me any hassle if they do offer a trade-in program.

Had this fix not been discovered, I would probably be sour on VR in general because I would never have gone out and gambled another $600 for a rift or whatever it cost at the time. I sure would've missed a lot of fun.

Hi, i tried the fix with the tape but didn't seem to work we are now in the middle of summer here in Australia and i'm down to about 30mins of gameplay before the grey screen occurs, i can't begin to tell you how frustrating this is. With a lot of people interested in my VR setup i find it so difficult to recommend the Vive without knowing a fix for this issue. Now that the Pro is being released it looks like we'll be asked to upgrade with the promise of a fix, doesn't seem fair for the people who bought the original product in good faith that it would do the job in all enviroments.

Trev

When it is flaking out, try running your hands around the HMD blocking various sensors. Maybe you'll have better luck with a different one. Have you actually tried cooling the front? I think you'll find some who had good results with fans and such if you go back through this thread. Australia might be a tough environment for this particular problem. Good luck to you.