flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

unless you try the sync cable I'm not sure you can rule that out as a possibility. I've started using my cable as my lights are very close to being in the way, but not quite, and also I'm stuck on a main road with many vibrations, and this has helped reduce/clear any grey screen sync issues I was having

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tried with sync cable a week or so after this problem appeared but it doen't solve anything. And actually makes no sense, after 4 months suddenly to be a problem. I live in a house, so I'm away of busy roads :) . I'm quite sure that there is something to do with overheating. As many of the others stated one of the first thing that I've notice was that the front of the HMD was hot... After I set up my A/C and kept the temperature at 23 C I have manage to play an hour and a half or two without any greyout. Since than I haven't had any time to test further more since I've been very busy lately.  And even if keeping my room temp at 23 C is solving the greyout I don't see that as a solution. :) 

wrote:

Did you try cooling the front of the headset (by fan or ice pack) as many of us in this thread have suggested? Since I put a fan in front of my racing rig, I have played dozens of hours (2 hours at a time) of Project Cars with not a single problem. Without the fan, the grey screens started after 20-40 minutes.

You could also try covering a sensor on the front as many have suggested. However, this may only buy you a little longer time until you have to cover another (overheating?) sensor.

Thank you kimmora for the suggestion. Here is my conclusion;

The problem is absolutely heat related. So here is my evidence. First I live in Philadelphia which starts getting hot in April and May which coincided with the first grey outs. The room I use the VIVE in is poorly air conditioned and gets hot during the summer. Second the problem begins after the unit has heated up. Say 20 to 30 minutes of gameplay. Third I was making another attempt to eliminated all other possibilities, drivers, versions of software, versions of firmware, sync cables, usb cables, etc, and saw some improvement this first week of October. Why? Because it’s cool in Philadelphia in October and my room needed no A/C.  But what cinched for me happened today. I received a call while playing a game with the VIVE.  I paused the game and put the headset face down on the couch and spoke on the phone for 20 minutes. When I came back and started playing I had grey outs galore. I touched the face plate and it was warmer than usual but not by much. I had inadvertently left Goggles sitting on its face so the heat was trapped by the fabric of the couch. Again it was not superhot just slightly warmer than it had been when I was wearing it earlier. To confirm the diagnoses I ran to my freezer grabbed frozen gel pack and applied it to the front of the goggles. The grey outs went away in seconds.  Further the grey outs stayed away even with the gel pack removed. (I mention that because others have deliberately block sensors to get to VIVE to work. I wasn’t blocking sensors just cooling them.) This is more than correlation it is causation. This is a defect and it is repeatable.

I am going to contact VIVE as I would like my headset replaced. A hot room shouldn’t break an $800 computer. Good luck to everyone who has this problem I hope you can get it fixed.

John

wrote:

Did you try cooling the front of the headset (by fan or ice pack) as many of us in this thread have suggested? Since I put a fan in front of my racing rig, I have played dozens of hours (2 hours at a time) of Project Cars with not a single problem. Without the fan, the grey screens started after 20-40 minutes.

You could also try covering a sensor on the front as many have suggested. However, this may only buy you a little longer time until you have to cover another (overheating?) sensor.

Kimmora Thank you for your suggestion you are correct about it being a heat problem. Here is what I found:

The problem is absolutely heat related. So here is my evidence. First I live in Philadelphia which starts getting hot in April and May which coincided with the first grey outs. The room I use the VIVE in is poorly air conditioned and gets hot during the summer. Second the problem begins after the unit has heated up. Say 20 to 30 minutes of gameplay. Third I was making another attempt to eliminated all other possibilities, drivers, versions of software, versions of firmware, sync cables, usb cables, etc, and saw some improvement this first week of October. Why? Because it’s cool in Philadelphia in October and my room needed no A/C.  But what cinched for me happened today. I received a call while playing a game with the VIVE.  I paused the game and put the headset face down on the couch and spoke on the phone for 20 minutes. When I came back and started playing I had grey outs galore. I touched the face plate and it was warmer than usual but not by much. I had inadvertently left Goggles sitting on its face so the heat was trapped by the fabric of the couch. Again it was not superhot just slightly warmer than it had been when I was wearing it earlier. To confirm the diagnoses I ran to my freezer grabbed frozen gel pack and applied it to the front of the goggles. The grey outs went away in seconds.  Further the grey outs stayed away even with the gel pack removed. (I mention that because others have deliberately block sensors to get to VIVE to work. I wasn’t blocking sensors just cooling them.) This is more than correlation it is causation. This is a defect and it is repeatable.

I am going to contact VIVE as I would like my headset replaced. A hot room shouldn’t break an $800 computer. Good luck to everyone who has this problem I hope you can get it fixed.

John

PS If this is a double post please forgive. I had to edit a spelling and the post seemed to disapear.

I guess this has probably been known to a lot of people for at least a couple weeks, but not me.

About 12m48s in: 

Are those all cell phone people? How much of HTC remains if Google is not taking the whole company? Where does that put Vive and Vive customers, specifically?

Thanks.

How about this for a hypothesis?

Some of the headsets have a failure in one of the bottom sensors when it warms up and the single reason this hasn't been addressed is because Vive doesn't know how to fix the problem, so they haven't acknowledged it.

What other plausible scenario could cause this issue to still not be addressed? It has been months. This is silly.

How about the scenario where they are aware of the problem and possibly even a solution but nobody is willing/able to make a move because the deal with Google is underway and they want to see where all the pieces fall before they do anything? They may have been forbidden from spending any money or making any committments until the deal is complete.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

, Thanks.

I came across an article with some sales numbers in it:

https://uploadvr.com/social-vr-probably-wont-work-way-social-vr-developers-think/

If the graph is true and 420K Vives were sold in 2016, then it would seem that those of us having this problem are a tiny minority. I had been wondering about this, i.e. how large our community is.

, have you tried calling regular Vive support? I'm sure if they fail you, you can ratlle some cages via the Vive people in this forum.