flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

Mine is manufactured in 2016/10. Same issue, grey screeon shows up after about 15-30 minutes of play. It started about 2 months after I bought the vive. It doesn't look like there is any environmental issue that is consistently associated with this issue. Sometimes it's better and sometimes it's worse, for no apparent reason.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrote:

So, I'm done being suspicious of RF interferrence, or USB 3 vs USB 2, or faulty lighthouses, or reflections, or bad video/USB drivers. For those of you, like me, that have flawless tracking for 20+ minutes, followed by grey flashes that get progressively more frequent, try cooling the front of the headset.

You are right! I have been strugling all night with my vive completely unplayable. Finally tried turning the thermostat of the air conditioning down a few degrees. Problem dissapeared!

The room was at 79F when I had the problem. Now it is 74F.

I'm having the same grey screen issues. The unit is fairly new (early Aug 2017) and the issue began about a week after purchase. I had come to this forum and found that I wasn't the only one with the issue and that an investigation was underway, so I decided I would just hang in there for a fix... and... still nothing. *sigh*

I did find covering a sensor helped, but it seemed to only double my playtime (to 30 minutes, maybe). I don't even try to play anymore... it's just not worth it.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to expedite the process.

Hello to all,

HTC support I am hoping you can help me with the repair of my HTC Vive VR headset. Like others I am experiencing the problem of grey flickering after 30 minutes which renders the headset unusable. It doesn’t matter what application I am running. I have updated the firmware of all of the devices. I started trying to locate the problem by examining the base stations. They are located properly have been tested both with and without the sync cable. They have all their IR dots seeming lit and have no obvious errors in the log. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all Steam and Vive software. I have tried both the USB 3.1 and 3.0 ports on the motherboard. I have tried both HDMI and Displayport connections. Nothing helps.

Something is wrong with the hardware. Can you please help me with this? Here is my info you wanted from earlier posts in this thread. Although it is discouraging to see how long this thread has been open with no resolution.

HMD Serial and date Manufacture: FA685JJ0****    2016/11 (omitted last 4)

Purchase Date: December 2016

Grey Screen: After 30 minutes or so it begins to flicker grey. The problem starts intermittently but quickly gets worse. Over about 15 mins it becomes unusable because the greyouts are so frequent.

When problem began (more or less): April 2017

Your location: United States

OS Version: Windows 10 version 1703

Computer Make/Model or Motherboard if homebuilt: ASUS Maximus Extreme VIII

RAM: 16gb ddr4

Networking or other cards plugged in to motherboard: Intel Ethernet Connection

Graphics Card:  NVIDIA 980ti

General Computing Environment and Set up: 

Steam Version: Both the ongoing current version and the Beta

VR Home Beta enabled/disabled: Both

Viveport installed/not installed: Installed

Oculus or revive or other VR environment installed:  Oculus and Revive

I look forward to hearing from you, Thanks John

It is very strange indeed that they have been working on this for so long, with no outcome.
I am new here. Bought my Vive less than a month ago on Amazon Canada (I am based in Montreal) and started experiencing the same problems (grey screen while looking at some angles, especially down, after 20-30 minutes using it; very hot HMD cables) but I don't think I will even bother pasting my configurations here and waiting. For me, it is positively clear that there are overheating problems, and I like to think that the engineers know it too, but unfortunately, they have an extensive protocol to comply with before disclosing it, if they are ever allowed to say anything.

I kind of feel fortunate to have had this problem shortly enough after my purchase, so I will return it with a heavy heart, as I don't want to duct tape my Vive by covering up one or more of its sensors (each sensor is there by design so it just doesn't feel right, plus there's always a chance that more will become faulty later on).

I can't thank you guys enough for sharing your findings, and I sincerely wish good luck to those who are still struggling.

Did you try cooling the front of the headset (by fan or ice pack) as many of us in this thread have suggested? Since I put a fan in front of my racing rig, I have played dozens of hours (2 hours at a time) of Project Cars with not a single problem. Without the fan, the grey screens started after 20-40 minutes.

You could also try covering a sensor on the front as many have suggested. However, this may only buy you a little longer time until you have to cover another (overheating?) sensor.