flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all again.

Thanks to  I was contacted by HTC support during my vacation, and they were really kind and supportive. Thank you for managing this. 

At first they told me they were going to send the headset to Taiwan, but they have sent me a  label for sending the headset to Romania, not to Taiwan. I told them about all of this but they say they will first send it to Romania. This is a bit dissapointing. I have no faith they will do anything different now. Same actions, same expected results :-(. So I think I will get my headset back as repaired just beacause they won't detect the failure.

Anyway, they have written down the indication that the problem may take more than one hour to appear.

I will keep you updated.

I'm coming back to this thread to check in on any pinpointed issues from HTC? I did the trick of covering one of the sensors for now to fix my grey issues, but still find it highly annoying I need to do that.

Is it the sensor thats completly **bleep**ing our headsets? The 3-in-1? Our linkbox?

Thanks.

i did the test  asked me to do. I switched back to the power bar i was using previously and the problem appeared after around one hour. Then i switched again to the power plug without surge protection and played for a few hours. Normal gameplay went smooth, but i was able to willingly reproduce the issue if i kept staring for a few minutes at the virtual ceiling. Keeping my head in that position, even in clear view of both base stations, caused the screen to go grey after a while.

So, in the end, now that temperatures are lower, the issue is much less prominent. 

Everything is pointing in the direction of this being primarily an issue about overheating. I find it very strange that HTC Staff didn't manage to give us a serious answer in all these months. I am guessing they know the problem is heat related, they have no fix, and they are just hoping that with the end of the summer the problem will be less apparent and people will shut up and will not be too vocal about it.

Hello , thanks for the test. So it is confirmed that the problem is somehow related to heat, but I'm a bit puzzled that it will appear almost immediately when you look at the ceiling; probably the issue also has a software component to consider. I hope this fact could provide some additional indication to htc technical staff ...

I am also inclined to this opinion. I meanwhile lost interest to Vive. It seems to me when the problem will be solved already in the trend of other devices. And it will be possible to buy Vive in ebay for $ 100. The time virtual reality is probably not yet arrived.

Hello everyone, it's very sad situation, that we , after so many time, don't have any info about it. More over, they have my HDM and no one can tell me, did it show the problem or not. I'll got the replacement hdm soon and make some tests. I hope all will be fine.  

I'm realy grateful John (  ) for his care, but even the support team on this forum is helpless. I think we have a communication problem between US and Eu offices of HTC.  

Support team, can you add to this conversation a real tech spetialist or anyone from the executives , who is responsible for problems like this (it's better). I think they want to have a conversation with their clients. I know, that HTC repair center in Romania has some wrong HDMs, so, let them write, how the analysis of they.

HTC team , let's work together!

Hi,

After ~15 mins of regular usage, I experience increasing freq of grey screen flickering which turns to solid within 1-2 minutes. When I put the HMD to the air conditioner to cool down it can be usable after 3+ mins for another 15 mins. Room temp varies between 23-30+ Celsius degree. I tried to check the temp. of the connected USB in hmd. It is very hot/almost burning hot. One more thing, when I look down sometimes I can see a grey screen than I look horizontal and it disappears close to the ~15 mins of usage. Probably the panel on the front side does not able to dissipate the heat properly and stuck there which can cause an intermittent overheating issue. After unpacked the vive, I updated to the latest firmware.

I really like the product, however, I am hardly able to play/use within this short amount of time which is unacceptable. I bought it from Amazon 3-3.5 weeks ago. On the next week, I will return it most probably.

I sent the details to the eng./support team as well, they wrote me that soon someone will contact to me. That was more than a week ago.

I am wondering whether you had a chance to try on your side to have a meeting room with the heating turned on, than have a play with the HMD for at least 30+ mins ? What was the result ? ;) 

All, what if you remove the cover from the cable connectors and leave it open through the game play ? The heating can be exhausted more easier through the open hole. 

Thanks !