flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

So Guess what im now getting the grey Screen Issues. 
i have changed the 3in1 cable, 
moved the sensors reinstalled the set up. 
using the sync cable incase the 3in 1 hanging from the celing gets in the way. 
In a totally Black room no sunlight ever enters. only reflective surface is the TV and thats covered up when playing 
i have found that the problem only happen after about 30min into a game.

I was playing Rez the other day and that game you hardly move after 30mins the screen starts to flash grey etc.  35 mins into this video this is what happens.
https://www.facebook.com/Helixxvr/videos/1057452014390097/

Now i dont really want to read through 20pages of posts is there an answer to this problem yet?

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought in May 2017 the flagship of VR HTC Vive for 1200 USA dollars and PC for 1500 USA dollars. When HTC solves the problem, how much will cost my Vive.

I can't use Vive now (i don't want play for 20 minutes).

"Time is money"!

wrote:

Now i dont really want to read through 20pages of posts is there an answer to this problem yet?

Hi , no permanent solution or definitive explanation from HTC yet. However, for me and a few others, a very easy and totally effective workaround has been to cover up one of the IR sensors on the HMD. For me it was the one approximately level with and to the right of the camera.

When the grey-out is happening full force, move your hands around the front of the HMD to cover the various sensors. Hopefully when you get the correct one, the problem will clear up. Once I identified the sensor, I used post-it sticky and electrical tape to cover the sensor.

I know at least two of us had the same sensor as the issue.

I ran for weeks that way with no problem. Now HTC has swapped out my HMD so I'm cured again for the moment but I see no reason the problem couldn't happen again until they figure out what the problem actually is and a fix for it.

Some people believe it is caused by heat and have applied cooling to the front of the HMD to remedy the problem (cool packs or fans).

Good luck.

Thanks  i will try that later today. 
I did see the post about the heat and i tend to think that is the problem for me so last night i tried a little experiment and moved in an  industrial fan in front of me to blow on the head set as i played. 
i managed to get about 1hour 30 before it started to grey a little. 
What i did notice was if i moved away from the fan it happened. 
I will try the same game tonight minus the fan and see the results. 
But will also try the sensor thing as well.

I ended up covering the front left sensor next to the camera today, and it fixed my grey issues as well. Only seems to happen without that sensor covered after 30 minutes of gameplay or less if I'm playing a demanding game. 

I guess this will do for now! 

wrote:

I ended up covering the front left sensor next to the camera today, and it fixed my grey issues as well. Only seems to happen without that sensor covered after 30 minutes of gameplay or less if I'm playing a demanding game. 

I guess this will do for now! 

Thats why i love this group its full of helpful info thankyou 

I want to add that the sensor-covering workaround is not 100% reliable. It's up to how many sensors start malfunctioning in the headset. If it is more than one sensor failing (as in many cases), the problem will happen even with one or two sensors covered, it will just take more time to appear.

I usually unplug my Vive, but turned off SteamVR today after playing for awhile and left my Vive plugged in. 

I came back a couple hours later to find my Vive hotter than ever, while not even in use. 

Is this normal? Or is this a sign that our Vive's have heat issues (which causes 'the grey')?

I have always left my Vive plugged in when not in use and I always leave my computer on.

I have found the front of the HMD to always be warm, even when not in use. Seems to me the warmest spot was approximately in front of my left eye.

I have had the grey-out problem since around May and HTC recently swapped out my HMD.

The new/replacement one just started having the grey-out problem tonight and I have now taped over the same sensor and it is working fine.