flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

Hey everyone,

I usually never post on forums but I had to create an account just to discuss the problem. I'm having exactly the same issue as those saying that their headset could be overheating. After 30-40 minutes of playtime, I would gradually begin to lose tracking (grey screen) until it is unplayable.

Like others mentioned, blocking the front sensors of the headset (where it is the hottest) does indeed prevent it from losing tracking. I also tried cooling the headset for about 25-30 sec near my AC and the problem went away for 15-20 minutes. With that said, I'm experiencing pretty much the same thing as most of you guys. I purchased my Vive in February of this year and the problem started around May.

I'm on the fence about what I should do and this is why I'm reaching out to all of you. I chatted with the Vive support. After going through the troubleshooting, they decided I should send the headset for repair so they opened a ticket number for my case. All I have left to do is send away the headset. I'm taking the weekend to think about it. I read OutpostVFX's experience a few posts above and this tells me that sending my headset away for repair could be a waste of time. I told Vive support that the problem doesn't seem to have been resolved by HTC themselves. He assured me that they would do a thorough diagnosic and repair for my headset, though I fear it will come back with the same problem a few weeks later. I don't understand why we are not offered to have a brand new headset through RMA in the first place.

Sorry for the long post, I just had to share my experience which is pretty much the same as everyone else on this thread. If anyone could shed some light on what I should do (send the headset for repair or wait for HTC to come up with a solution?), it would be appreciated.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HMD Serial and date of purchase: FA6C3JJ01359, February 17 2017

Grey Screen: it flickers after about 30-40 minutes (variable) and can stay grey after a while.

When problem began (more or less): Around May 2017

Your location: Quebec, Canada

OS Version: Version 1703 OS build 15063.483

Computer Make/Model or Motherboard if homebuilt: AMD Ryzen 1700, MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon

RAM: 16 GB DDR4

Networking or other cards plugged in to motherboard: None

Graphics Card:  Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Version: 384.76

General Computing Environment and Set up: 1 monitor via DP only

Steam Version: beta 

VR Home Beta enabled/disabled: enabled

Viveport installed/not installed: not installed

Oculus or revive or other VR environment installed:  not installed.

Might take a picture later.

wrote:

Thanks MartinMarty - Just wanted to know if the issue also immediately disappears if you put cold on the Vive.

Sorry, AGR, I had not intended to ignore your request.

Wednesday night I attended a party in theWaveVR, which is a wonderful experience but mine has been marred by grey-outs diminishing the immersion. Anyway, I had been in there a while, maybe close to an hour, and thought I was doing pretty good when the grey-outs started. This time it really got me at bad moment when I was running the light show for everybody to see. So there I was totally blind and I just kept pulling controls even though I couldn't see if I had ahold of the control, let alone the results.

Anyway, in a pinch I started covering up sensors with my hands and it was helping a lot. I got it isolated to the one nearest my right eye, level with the camera. So I grabbed a post-it note and stuck it over that sensor. The results were good but the post-it was not covering the sensor thoroughly, so I cut the sticky parts from two post-its and almost cured the problem. Finally I stuck electrical tape over the post-it material, that way no light can get through and no tape adhesive gets on the sensor lens.

Knock-on-wood, the occlusion solution seems to be working great for me. I have not had a single episode of grey-outs since I covered the sensor. I am leaving it on all the time and I will see how long the success continues. If and when it fails, I will try the cool-down solution but I don't want to mess with success since this is the most I've been able to enjoy my Vive in a couple months.

I am posting a picture. I know it's not pretty but cut me a break - the repair was made during gameplay. :smileyvery-happy:

I had dabbled with this before with mixed results, but I never actually isolated a single sensor and I never taped over it/them good. Now I just hope that this fix keeps working, as some others have not.

Hey MartinMarty

That's what I call a workaround. Do you think it is a acceptable one for future? 

Regarding the cooldown. It would have been really interesting if this is also working the same like on my side. Not for having a solution, but for helping HTC to figure out the problem. 

By the way:  Were your engineers able to reproduce the issue?

Well, let's just say I would be a little disappointed if HTC mailed each of us a piece of tape... (just kidding, calm down guys).

If it continues to work, it is acceptable to me, though I would probably redo with a nicer "bandage". 

However, the significance to me, IF it continues to work, is that something is wrong with that particular sensor and HTC owes me a fix, or at least the offer of a fix. i.e. if they said "Your sensor is definitely bad. Send in your HMD. You'll receive a replacement in six to eight weeks." I would have to think hard about whether I wanted to be without it for a long time, since it seems to be functioning at 100% with my Frankenstein tape job. I suppose if I knew I would be getting a newer revision that has a superior design in some way. But somebody else's old "refurbished" unit? Not so much.

Anyway, that's putting the cart in front of the horse. First, I must determine if my fix continues to work.

If my fix does continue to work, then would this approach work for others? Are all of us simply experiencing failures in one or more sensors? Or is there more than one problem? The info I have seen tells me those sensors are IR photodiodes, but I can see from the take-apart video that each one is on a small circuit assembly with a few supporting components. So are those supporting components failing because of the heat, if the diode itself is not? Who knows. All I know is mine was working fine for a few months, then went partially bad and now it looks like it is due to a single sensor/assembly on the HMD.

With all due respect - it's not a cheap 5$ mouse from around the corner - this is a 1000$ device! And I expect it to work flawlessly. Or exchange to a new one (not refurbished) without issues. 

And I'm also getting to start beeing disappointed since we don't receive any information what exactly is going on. 

At least I'm not sure how I feel, having a obviously overheating, malfunctioning electronic device directly on my face - with or without overtaped a sensor. But of course, this is only my view and my opinion.  

Synthesis, why are you (HTC staff) ignoring my quation "HTC, what news? Something have you done for solved or searching it?"?
Besides, I'm not the only one asking this question.
I guess I can tell WE in sorrow from the fact that we do not get a report from you. And we have the impression that the HTC team does nothing to resolve this issue. If this is not the case, then why do not you write what's going on in your labs, why do not you ask us to help you by test, because we have a suitable HMD for this?

Ask me if you need data. I can send you a video, photo and other data. Let's work together!