flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all of the information you have provided in this thread.  Flashing grey screens can be caused by a multitude of factors (both software and/or hardware).  Heat is not something that we have encountered before as a cause for problems however I'm not ruling it out, I have requested info on standard or recommended operating temperatures

For those of you experiencing the flashing grey can you capture as much of the below and post back when you are able?  We will be reaching out individually for troubleshooting and additional information gathering.  As you might imagine, everyone's computing environment is vastly different and we just want to make sure we are accounting for everything accurately. 

HMD Serial and date of purchase:

Grey Screen: does  it flicker or stay solid grey?

When problem began (more or less):

Your location:

OS Version: please provide actual version (build etc) by typing "winver" in the run command

Computer Make/Model or Motherboard if homebuilt:

RAM:

Networking or other cards plugged in to motherboard: 

Graphics Card:  make/model any addtional built in graphics as well. Current driver version.

General Computing Environment and Set up: i.e. 2 montiors via DP, USB hub, printers plugged in, UPS  etc.

Steam Version: beta or public release

VR Home Beta enabled/disabled:

Viveport installed/not installed: state which version if installed by going to Settings

Oculus or revive or other VR environment installed:  please state as applicable, any development environments you may be running as well.

Photo of the room your vive is in: If you can it would be good for us to see how the physical layout of the room your vive is in is set up. You can post publicly if you wish or send via PM to myself or  or .

As your responses come in we will reach out individually to have you email us your SteamVR logs as well (easier to digest as an email attachment).  

Thank you for everything you have shared so far, we are looking forward to working with you on this issue and appreciate your patience as we sift through all of the info.

Thank you!

John

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrote:

I also think that the idea with a teamviewer is good. Dear HTC, could you connect to our PC and get data for analys of issue?

, please see 's response above. We may get down to the level of using Teamviewer but having the information we're asking for from everyone will let us create a baseline of understanding, rather than looking at everyone's individual cases.

In a matter of fact I did get my AC like a week ago, but honestly I didn't had the time nor the mood to unbox the Vive and give it a try, Since I have a lot of work lately and reading somewhere that the AC had solved the problem for some time only .... you get where I'm going. But soon I will try it as well. 

Tomorrow I will provide you with all the information you need. 

If you don't understand my text, plaease ask.

HMD Serial and date of purchase:
S/N: FA6ANJJ01123 2016/10

Grey Screen: does it flicker or stay solid grey?

The first 20-40 minutes all works fine. Then gray flashes appear when HMD directed to certain side. If I keep watching to “certain side” it will be stay solid grey. If I turn quick my head (HMD) through “certain side” then it will be flick for a littlebit time.

When problem began (more or less):
From the date of purchase (25.05.2017)

Your location:
At home. Almaty city, Kazakhstan.

OS Version:
Windows 10 pro
Version 1703 Buit 15063.332

Computer Make/Model or Motherboard if homebuilt:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i7-4770K, 3900 MHz (39 x 100)

RAM:
16 Gb

Networking or other cards plugged in to motherboard:
Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-V

Graphics Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (driver nVIDIA ForceWare 382.53)

General Computing Environment and Set up:
One monitor by DVI, usb mouse, usb keyboard, usb headphone

Steam Version:
public release (I used BETA version for try to solve issue)

VR Home Beta enabled/disabled:
disabled

Viveport installed/not installed:
Not installed

Oculus or revive or other VR environment installed:
Now Oculus and revive was installed, but I tested without Oculus or revive – doesn’t help.

Photo of the room your vive is in:

views from both lighthouses:

*Objects marked in blue on the pictures were covered while using the Vive

AMNtMri1Z4Q.jpg

qPRFEsAtCuQ.jpg

If you have additional qustions - welcome.

I haven't been as active on this thread recently as the problem seems to have gone away. I have changed nothing but I am able to play for longer periods of time. In fact, I am able to play until I want to stop. 

This has really baffled me as I have done absolutely nothing different since my last post here apart from go to work on Monday and not be able to play it until 6pm. I think the Vive just didn't want me to enjoy my weekend. I think I scared it into behaving as I was on live chat with support and it just wouldn't grey flash for me to be able to produce a report for the guy I was chatting with. 

I'll still look to fill out a response to the HTC post as I'm doubtful as to whether this "fix" is long term... I'm really not sure what went on. 

Hi JustJabba.

Just curious if SteamVR did a update just before everything started to work all of a sudden, I know there was a update a few days ago, I just can't remember which day it was. The Vive's performance seems to be very much dependent on SteamVR and if they introduce new bugs while fixing others with each update. With all the different computer hardware out there, nailing it so everything works with all that hardware must be a exercise in frustration. I know some SteamVR releases had given me random problems but everything was fine with the next release.

Regards: Jack