flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Installed the USB PCI-E card. Everything connects to it completely fine and controllers responsive from the moment I start SteamVR. I'm confident in saying this has fixed the controller connection problem. 

However, I am still receiving the same grey flashes. These appear after roughly 20 minutes of game time and tend to appear in very similar locations. I can get away with avoiding those locations for a while but then the grey flashes seem to spread. This has not fixed my issue. 

I've monitored my system while playing and see no reason why my computer should be at fault. The graphics card does get hot (sitting around 75 degrees) but it is an AMD card so I'm not surprised. CPU remains below 40 degrees with around 50% utilisation. 

I did notice a significant amount of frame drops upon entering the SteamVR home so have removed myself from the beta. No impact on the grey issue noted here. 

When the grey issue begins to happen my SteamVR alerts me that my headset is on but is not tracking. I can stare directly at both base stations but this does not solve the issue. I end up turning off my VR, waiting around 20 minutes and loading it back up. I then can play happily enough for another 20 minutes. 

I've got no other ideas on what could be going wrong. I will be testing my environment on Tuesday as I will be moving the VR to another location but I am not confident that this will have any impact.

One thing you should check regarding the controllers acting really weird is......

Do you have a device plugged in and powered on which has a throttle, this could be a racing wheel with pedals or a flight stick with a throttle control? if so, try unplugging this device and try your Vive controllers then, chance are they will work well.

I had this problem, I use a Thrustmaster T500rs wheel and pedal combo for sim racing.

Regards: Jack

Didn't take a picture but here is my video recording of gameplay where the grey screen really becomes an issue. 

I stuck the camera on just for this part, normally I have the camera off as I know it can cause tracking problems. The camera is on just to show the environment around as as the grey screen problem is happening. 

[sOLUTION] at least for me.

Background of issue: after 20-30 minutes my vive would grey screen more and more frequently until unusable. 

Solution that worked for me- covering up one of the front bottom sensors on the VIVE headset. I read in another forum somewhere that someone had similar issue and they would cover up one of the front bottom sensors and then they wouldn't ever encounter these issues anymore. What I did to figure out which one to cover up is just use my finger to test out different sensors. It appears that this solution actually works by covering up one of several of the front bottom to bottom-middle sensors. I chose one of these sensors and put a sticker on it and now I don't have this issue anymore. Really strange.

,  hopefully this info helps. any idea of why covering up just one sensor of several of the bottom sensors would fix this issue?

Best,

Dear, HTC,

How long do you working for this issue?

After 5 month you haven't solved problem of IDan_UK?

(https://community.viveport.com/t5/Technical-Support/Grey-screen-cut-out-after-about-5-mins/m-p/6396)

Why you can't go to one of our homes and have Investigate this problem? We are spending very lot a time and we are nervous.

Sorry, but i don't see your aspiration for solve this issue!

Very intrasting information. It means , that it doesn't conect with the software ver. Bad news for me, that HTC hadn't been able to solve this problem for 5 months.  I think, this problem must be a task of honor for them. In my opinion, it's time for us to say potential buyers about this unsolved problem, before they spent a lot of money. It's time for us to write a lot of posts about this situation with Vive in many palces, were it's selling. If i knew about it before, i wouldn't buy it, before the problem won't solve.

5 months for real ? I thought that we all had this issue started at beginning - mid march. That's why I was leaning more to be a software issue. But now ... with your statement I'm betting more to be hardware. I hope we hear soon from HTC.