flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm experiencing the same issue. Here's some info to help your team resolve:

Re: flashing grey screen [ New ]

Issue: Vive works perfectly find for 20-30 minutes when i'm playing the archery game in the lab since thats what i usually play.
then grey screen starts to appear more and more and then in about 4 minutes it goes completely grey.
Ive spent a couple weeks trying to work on this with suggestions from every type of forum and still not working.

1) The manufacture date of your Vive. This can be found by sliding off the 3-in-1 cable compartment cover.

2) The rough date that you started expericing problems

Unsure exactly since this was bought 2nd hand but started a couple days after i purchased it around June 15th

3) Any environmental factors you feel may be influencing the problem

no.

4) Any workarounds you find that alleviates the issue, even if it's impractical

just optimize the lighthouse positions and play area aleviates it maybe to allow it to work another 10 minutes

I receive the grey flashes roughly 20 minutes after playing games. I'm at a loss on how to fix this really. 

I received the HTC Vive on the 6th July. 

My specs are: 

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-9370
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 2666MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z (Socket 942) 
Graphics
Z35 (2560x1080@144Hz)
8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (XFX Pine Group)
Storage
238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB (SSD)
111GB KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (SSD) 
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA)
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-32BN5A0 (SATA)

Below is  a picture of my room set up. 

I am also experiencing a problem with my controllers where each time I reopen SteamVR I have to release the pairing on the controllers via the Lighthouse console and re-pair them. If I do not do this, then the controllers are not picked up. 

I am running the SteamVR beta software version. 

I changed the HTC Link Box to a USB 3.0, reinstalled Steam Vr, all the drivers and experienced about 50 minutes of gametime before I then started to experience the flashes. I turned on my SteamVR this morning and the controllers connected right there and then so I think that problem got solved (fingers crossed). 

Only problem is, I'm experiencing a slight wobble when accessing menus. In game, not so much.

I've ordered the Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port PCI Express Card that has been recommended by HTC. I'll see whether that makes any difference today. 

I hate not being able to diagnose this problem properly. I know my computer in and out and could fix any problem I have. This Vive is so new that I'm left worrying whether it is hardware or software. I'm leaning more towards software at the moment due to the consistency of the problem. 

Another one of many sad users of HTC Vive. Honestly I packed it back in box. I'm just waiting HTC will solve this problem. I thing , i'm close to turn it back to the shop and buy Oculus. I spent a lot of money to gadget wich develop team can't solve obvios problem during several months.  HTC , just be honest, say us, it's warranty case. We will send you bad HDM and you send us back normal, and everything will be ok.