flashing grey screen

Aidarpro

I repositioned the lighthouses to different conrers of the room. Covered up everything reflective (even small things like door knobs and chair legs). And bought an AC to cool down the room under 30° celsius.
For 2 or 3 days iI had no errors except an infrequent hitching. Today I had some grey flashes , but they were less frequent and shorter than before I started experimenting (I dont know why it came back again, only thing I changed was installing the newst nvidia graphics driver I will try downgrading that later)

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooops - posted a little too quick there.

Hello all. As stated, we're still looking at this and haven't forgotten. It seems unlikely at this point that this issue is related to heat, which means it's either software or room setup related - both areas where there are an enormous amount of variables in play.

Therefore, I've got to ask for your patience here. We are looking into it. It's unlikely to be a quick resolution, because there's no clear cause. If we require more information from you, for example logs or details on your setup, we will obviously ask.

didn't say that. He said "not reliably". And I have to admit sometimes mine works. 

Being able to recreate the problem is a crucial step to fixing it. I appreciate the honest reply. I think the only thing we can do is to supply information when they need it.

I don't know where HTC's offices are located, but I guarantee if any of their people wanted to visit my "lab" to see a real life demonstration of the problem, pack up your meters and your GPS and head my way and I will roll out the red non-reflective carpet. I'm sure our other problem customers would do the same. For the record, I'm in US, Ohio.

I am going to continue to post good days and bad days out here. If Vive guys want to read it, that's fine. If they don't, at least it gives us something to do while we can't play in VR. Maybe amongst ourselves we can stumble across a common denominator.

For example, my air conditioning has been broken for a few days so I had been leaving my computer off, where normally I leave it on 24x7. Last night it was somewhat cool outside, around 60ºF and I had all the windows open, so this morning it felt cool enough to play around for 15 or 20 minutes in theWaveVR, a few songs in Audioshield, and once through the bow & arrow game in theLab. I only had one blip of grey but I think I was legitimately out of view of the base stations.

If got me wondering though. I normally leave my PC on 24x7, like I said. How about the rest of you?

Also, the other morning I noticed my HMD was warm to the touch just sitting there, not having been played for at leasy 24 hours. It was approx. 35.4ºC "at rest" in the warm spot approx. in front of the left eye.

We've seen 'greyouts', of course, but not as frequently as some of you have been experiencing. Generally it's a momentary tracking issue, and resolved as soon as you move around and tracking is reacquired.

This issue, if it's different from that, could be tricky to figure out because of the usual software/hardware interactions. Recreating the issue wherever possible is a crucial first step for us, so we're talking with our engineers to determine how they want to proceed.

Hello Stephen,

We are patient, most of us... Well quite frankly of course I miss my VR sessions for the last few weeks, but I'm not a kid anymore and I'll live with it. As of other members here having this issue, might have shown a bit impatience, I guess we have to forgive them. :)  I'm trying to imagine If I had this peace of tech back in the days when I was a kid-teenager... spent quite a money on equipment (PC hardware) and the Vive ... I have to admit I would have gone crazy by now. But I guess that's some sort of appreciation of your product. On the other hand keeping silent about this threat here also have something to do with this impatience. I understand that when there's nothing new on your side there is not much to say as well.  Question is: Did you manage to recreate the problem on some of your devices that you might have in hand ? If not , I would be a willing volunteer to send you my Vive so you could run tests on it. I have big confidence in you as organisation and I will have to wait anyway before we find the solution so ... If that could help solve this problem quickly I will send it immediately. Also "play area" and "surroundings" as a cause of this issue logically should be put on a side since a lot of us have played within the same enviroment and play area for months (me personally 6 months) without having any issues. But you have your tech team there so... I'll leave that to you.

Have a nice day ! :)