Is there a problem with the new Deluxe Audio Headstrap hinges?

wOOOOt

I read a lot of positive feedback on the new Audio Headstrap, and ordered one myself.

Then I finde these 2 videos showing problems with the "hinges" on the headstrap??

And these are 2 of the more wellknown youtubers out there:

From Tested - go to 3.20 min.

And from Bumble - go to 4.30

That is suddenly a rather big percentage of the youtubers out there testing it.

Is there a real problem here? 

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sorry Emexrulsier.. But I post about a problem with the audio strap quality, and you whine about prices.. Make your own topic please. I hate the price too, but its another topic!

Yea, looks like Bumble broke it himself - and HTC was kind enough to send him a brand new Vive to repleace the broken. I hope I get the same service if mine breaks lol.

Another thing tho - Just got mine today. Impressive speed, I ordered Yesterday, and it was sent to Denmark in 1 day. Im at work now, so will open it later, and hope it fits perfect =)

Regarding the foam padding, if this is the same open cell poly foam that comes with the HMD, I doubt that sweat alone has any effect on degrading or scaling of the foam itself. I would think that it would take a combination of things.

The guy making the complaint specifically mentions that there was no hair product involved. Maybe not that time but how many times before the video was made. He made it sound like it was used for three hours and then the scaling starting. Something doesn't sound right with that. I am familiar with this type of foam if it's the same as the face cushion foam. It takes a ton of abuse and there are very few things that will degrade it. Some oils can have an effect over time, but we're talking weeks, maybe even months, not hours. Not to mention what those type of oils and solvents would do to your hair and skin.

I would like for the moderators to chime in on whether this is the same foam as the face cushion. BTW, my deluxe strap is due in this Friday, after that I will give you a personal experience report.

Take care, Cpt Good

wrote:

Regarding the foam padding, if this is the same open cell poly foam that comes with the HMD, I doubt that sweat alone has any effect on degrading or scaling of the foam itself. I would think that it would take a combination of things.

The guy making the complaint specifically mentions that there was no hair product involved. Maybe not that time but how many times before the video was made. He made it sound like it was used for three hours and then the scaling starting. Something doesn't sound right with that. I am familiar with this type of foam if it's the same as the face cushion foam. It takes a ton of abuse and there are very few things that will degrade it. Some oils can have an effect over time, but we're talking weeks, maybe even months, not hours. Not to mention what those type of oils and solvents would do to your hair and skin.

I would like for the moderators to chime in on whether this is the same foam as the face cushion. BTW, my deluxe strap is due in this Friday, after that I will give you a personal experience report.

Take care, Cpt Good

That is strange to me, too. Even though they probably rushed this to market without a lot of formal testing, I would have thunk ;-) that just playing around with the prototypes in the lab would have revealed this alleged problem if it only takes minutes or a couple hours to occur. I wonder if at the last second somebody decided the production units would get a different type of foam, for whatever reason, than the prototypes.

I lucked out on this one. I was scared off by the broken head hinge and decided not to order for a while. I will also be doing that when the wireless HMD comes out.

I am sure HTC will take care of all the people who already bought one.  

Back on topic of the hinges.

I got my DAHS yesterday - thx for fast delivery!

Easy to replace with the old one and it feels great.

Then my girlfriend tries, and I haven't told her about any potentiel problems.

And first time she has to remove the headset, she get a hold of the side "arm" and it came off instantly. 

This is really bad design! - It should have a firm locking mechanism! Like the old headstrap had.

Archived