How do you stop VivePort loading with SteamVR?

CaTaPulT

Hi everyone.

I just redid my computer last night, fresh install of Windows 10 Pro.

Now everytime I start SteamVR, the VivePort software starts too. Is there a way for VivePort not to start with SteamVR? If I want VivePort to run, I will manually start it.

This is quite annoying, just a personal thing I have, I hate having software forced upon me.

It use to not do this before I redid my system, it was a Windows 7 updated to windows 10 installation. So, by installing the Vive setup software from scratch, I now have VivePort starting with SteamVR which I would rather not have.

Any tips or tricks to stop VivePort software from starting would be greatly appreciated.

Regards: Jack

Viveport starts when you start SteamVR? You could try reinstalling Viveport and seeing if that fixes it. Did you already try that? Viveport should only start when you request it to start, definitely not any time SteamVR is opened. Steam is working, right? How are you launching SteamVR?

Thanks,

-John C

Hi John and thanks for the reply.

Actually, this was from the Vive setup software. I already had Steam installed. I did the Vive setup software which in turn installed VivePort. I can start Steam on it own but once I press the VR button in Steam to get SteamVR running, shortly after SteamVR is running, VivePort pops up on it's own. I guess I'll have to try un-installing it to see what happens.

Hi again John.

Well I did a full un-install of the Vive (VivePort) software (using Revo uninstaller). Did a reboot, tested Steam and SteamVR to make sure everything worked fine. I then downloaded and re-installed the Vive software and again, same thing, Vive software starts up every time I start SteamVR. So I gave up and un-installed the Vive software again and am leaving it un-installed. Considering all the stuff that runs in the background when the Vive software is installed, I can live without it.

I made this list of everything that runs in the background (processes)......

When SteamVR is not running
---------------------------
HtcIdentityService
HTCVRMarketplaceUserContextHelper (32 bit)
HTCVRMarketplaceUserContextHelper (32 bit)

When SteamVR is running
-----------------------
HTC Vive BT Manager (32 bit)
HtcIdentityService
nw.exe (32bit)
nw.exe (32bit)
nw.exe (32bit)
nw.exe (32bit)
ViveDashboard.exe (32 bit)
VivePhoneInit.exe (32 bit)
ViveportService (32 bit)

Don't know why the Vive software has to have so much stuff to run in the background, Oculus Home only has 2 things that run in the background. Guess the coders for the Vive (VivePort) software may need to rethink how they do things.

There is a setting in SteamVR that you may want to find about what shows on the bottom of SteamVR, on the dashboard. You may want to go in and uncheckmark everything but Steam and see if that stops it from starting. I am thinking it starts because it shows up on the bottom and this way, you could click it with your pointer and it would come up in 1 second instead of 30 seconds, or whatever it would take to load it from scratch. Unchecking it.. might tell SteamVR you want to load it only when you click on it.

Just a guess.

Hi BDS.

Before I re-did my system, the Vive software didn't start up with SteamVR, it only started when I chose to use it at my desktop (monitor). It did however show up on the Dashboard in VR. My guess is one of those many programs that run in the background allow this.

Also, I was starting to have a problem, I would start SteamVR..... everything would work as it should and when the Vive software auto started..... my lighthouses on the SteamVR screen display would go grey and stay that way. When I un-installed the Vive software, everything started working as it should again. The Vive software isn't the only thing that starts when SteamVR starts, Oculus Home does so also. But the nice thing about Oculus home is I found a batch file I can run which kills off 2 processes running in the background which prevent Oculus Home from auto starting. You just need to run that batch file again to turn it back on. :)

Hi George.

The message thread regarding the batch file to disable the Oculus software running in the background can be found here......

https://community.viveport.com/t5/Technical-Support/How-to-disable-OVRservice-Oculus-from-running/m-p/7268#U7268

Be warned, once you run this batch file, it will disable these two Oculus programs from running in the background permanently, to use Oculus Home, you just have to run this batch file (as administrator) just before starting Oculus Home.

• 3 weeks later...

wrote:

Viveport starts when you start SteamVR? You could try reinstalling Viveport and seeing if that fixes it. Did you already try that? Viveport should only start when you request it to start, definitely not any time SteamVR is opened. Steam is working, right? How are you launching SteamVR?

Thanks,

-John C

It happens to me aswell, viveport always launches itself when I load steamvr (by clicking the VR icon in steam).  I have reinstalled vive softeare just over 42 millions times (lost count).

Archived