Controller won't turn off, showing that it's always 'charging'

Tausendberg

I'm able to use both controllers just fine, tracking, joystick, buttons, haptics all work perfectly.

The problem is the LEFT controller doesn't ever turn off. Even over 10-11 hours the blue light doesn't go away. When I'm in the lobby the controller shows that it's 'charging' even though it's not plugged in. And when I look at it, it shows that it's 4 dots of charge even though it's been on all night, so I suspect that's not correct.

I tried charging it and then unplugging it multiple times, didn't fix the issue. I tried disconnecting the controller from the headset and then pairing it again, that didn't fix the issue.

The controller is completely usable except, I suspect it's constantly discharging and not showing an accurate charge, but is there some kind of hard reset I can do or why would it be having this issue?

OH! Ok, that button combination did get the LED to turn off, which I assume solves the biggest problem which is that the left controller is slightly discharging when not in use and always running out of power.

Unfortunately it did not solve the issue regarding that when I do turn on the controller, it still shows it as 'charging' even when it's unplugged and in use.

Also, weirdly, I tried the controller firmware update tool for windows and directly plugging in the controller via USB C, my right controller works fine with the app but when I plug in the left controller to my computer I get a notice that the device is not recognized. 

1 minute ago, Tausendberg said:

OH! Ok, that button combination did get the LED to turn off, which I assume solves the biggest problem which is that the left controller is slightly discharging when not in use and always running out of power.

Unfortunately it did not solve the issue regarding that when I do turn on the controller, it still shows it as 'charging' even when it's unplugged and in use.

Also, weirdly, I tried the controller firmware update tool for windows and directly plugging in the controller via USB C, my right controller works fine with the app but when I plug in the left controller to my computer I get a notice that the device is not recognized. 

So, after the combo key, the controller finally shut down as it should after unplug from power source. 
But when you turn it back on, it still showed Orange LED as it is charging but it is actually not charging at the moment? It should be green light if you are in use?? 

Question, is it paired okay with the HMD? or it is not working at all. 

Just checked, if the Focus 3 is off, the light is briefly blue and then it stays orange,

If the Focus 3 is on, same, briefly blue and then it stays orange, I never see a green light.

The weird thing is, the controller is actually completely usable, except for the fact that the Focus 3 in the lobby shows it charging and as always 4 dots, I can never actually see how much charge is left, but yes, I used the left controller for over 5 hours today. 

10 minutes ago, Tausendberg said:

Just checked, if the Focus 3 is off, the light is briefly blue and then it stays orange,

If the Focus 3 is on, same, briefly blue and then it stays orange, I never see a green light.

The weird thing is, the controller is actually completely usable, except for the fact that the Focus 3 in the lobby shows it charging and as always 4 dots, I can never actually see how much charge is left, but yes, I used the left controller for over 5 hours today. 

Please contact local customer service to RMA your left controller, it seems it's HW malfunction. 
Let me know the ticket number, and you should be able to reference to this post on the ticket so I can make some notes on it. 

Sorry about the inconvenience. 

I actually talked to HTC support about a week ago, my ticket number is 222168840000180 , 

I've been waiting for a good time to send the left controller where I won't need the headset as much. Is it at all possible that they could send me the replacement Left controller first and then I send them the defective left controller?

5 minutes ago, Tausendberg said:

I actually talked to HTC support about a week ago, my ticket number is 222168840000180 , 

I've been waiting for a good time to send the left controller where I won't need the headset as much. Is it at all possible that they could send me the replacement Left controller first and then I send them the defective left controller?

Saw the ticket and leave the note just now.
I can also deliver this msg with them, but RMA process is something I cannot comment with. Sorry about that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 9:19 AM, C.T. said:

Hey there, can you try to hold the combination below on the left controller to see if it recovers?

X+Y+Joystick+Trigger for 5sec

Press menu key to power on the device after LED went off.

You made my day, it solved for me the problem that the controller always showed up as "connected" (green light) without being connected to the HMD. The controller didn't even try to connect then. This controller "reset" combination should be in the documentation.

• Like 1