Business Streaming Hand Tracking in UE4

danwrong

Yes, confirming I'm on 1.0.9.46.

If I change steam home avatar to five fingered hands I am indeed seeing finger tracking so that confirms the data is coming through.  @C.T. does the dev team have any example unreal projects so that I can confirm my setup is correct?  I'm trying to get finger data via SteamVR Input.

14 minutes ago, danwrong said:

Yes, confirming I'm on 1.0.9.46.

If I change steam home avatar to five fingered hands I am indeed seeing finger tracking so that confirms the data is coming through.  @C.T. does the dev team have any example unreal projects so that I can confirm my setup is correct?  I'm trying to get finger data via SteamVR Input.

that's good news. 
Alright, so if you just followed along with this post to setup the UE enviroment, you should be fine. let me know if you find it otherwise. Cheers

It worked on my side too until I've updated the VBS Beta from 1.07.07 to 1.07.10. (there was also an firmware update on the headset itsel) Can someone confirm that this still working? And is there a way to go back to an older VBS-version?

1 hour ago, Frankfurt said:

It worked on my side too until I've updated the VBS Beta from 1.07.07 to 1.07.10. (there was also an firmware update on the headset itsel) Can someone confirm that this still working? And is there a way to go back to an older VBS-version?

@Frankfurt  @danwrongHave you two installed Vive console before?

I can confirm that it works again, after unistalling vbs on my computer and re-installing again. I've noticed that there was an streaming app update on the focus itself too. To be honest i was testing out quite a lot different system options and since I'm still new to this whole vbs-steamvr-unreal integration I can't spot out what the issue was exactly. But what i've noticed is that inside steamvr, the system is recognizing your bare-hands as controllers which is maybe a good indicator that steam is getting the hand-tracking right.  

15 minutes ago, Frankfurt said:

I can confirm that it works again, after unistalling vbs on my computer and re-installing again. I've noticed that there was an streaming app update on the focus itself too. To be honest i was testing out quite a lot different system options and since I'm still new to this whole vbs-steamvr-unreal integration I can't spot out what the issue was exactly. But what i've noticed is that inside steamvr, the system is recognizing your bare-hands as controllers which is maybe a good indicator that steam is getting the hand-tracking right.  

Cool, that's good news. 
In that case, I'd suggest @danwrong to reinstall VBS related software and try that again to see if it help? or if you do have installed vive console on your system, I will direct you to modify something first to workaround the known issue from our end.

After some research I'd like to further discuss some things. The project works as an example with an default empty level. But although it's almost nothing in there some jitters and jurks are noticable as if the tracking performance in general is not good as if you'd use the recommended combination of steam-vr-plg + vive-open-xr-plg. After checking the plugins and settings on this project I've found out that the steamvr-plugin is not used. Until now I was always using this plugin (as recommended) together with the vive-open-xr-plugin. Instead it's using the cosmos-controller-plugin and the openxr-vive-cosmos-controller plg (and ofcourse the xr-visualization). To test where the performance issues had been coming from i was trying different combinations. It turned out that you still get hand-tracking-data with just the vive-open-xr-plg (but the console throws a lot of null-pointer errors). By using unreal's steamvr-plg the performance is as expected (really smooth and fluid) but no hand tracking data is coming through (you can verify this in the console also -> "GetMotionControllerData could not find matching UMotionControllerComponent"). So yes ... technically it's working but when i try to replicate the activated plugins and leaving our render-settings (which are WAY more complex than in this test-template) unreal crashes right away. I can confirm that with the "standart-setup" -> vive-open-xr + steamvr -plg our level is running like a charm on the focus + vbs + steamvr. So are there any recommendations or outlooks on future improvements on the hand-tracking-implementation? Thank you very much