Vive Business Streaming 1.07.6a - Beta Release notes

C.T.

VIVE Business Streaming Software 1.07.6a– Beta Release Notes
Released March 10th 2022

Enable hand tracking to PC VR

PC VR contents could now enjoy Focus 3 hand tracking with OpenVR Skeleton Input or OpenXR hand tracking.
No additional porting effort is required. We provided a very easy way to switch between controller and hand interaction by simply pick up or put down the controllers. 
VBS also supports pinch gesture as controller trigger button, so that you could play various VR contents with just hands starting today.

VIVE Wrist Tracker

VBS now supports VIVE Wrist Tracker in two modes.

• One is the pure hand tracking to improve the tracking quality as it is on Focus 3 to PC VR contents. The buttons on Wrist Tracker could be used to open Dashboard and application menu to better playing content with hands.
  • The other mode is to emulate as VIVE Tracker to PC VR. In other words, Focus 3 + Vive Wrist Tracker via VBS is now directly supports PC contents with VIVE Tracker.

Improve USB streaming performance

We are now supporting USB2.0 USB connection, and improved wired connection for higher bitrate and lower latency in 1.07. *Latest Focus 3 firmware 3.0.999.368 is required

Improved wireless streaming experience

In VBS 1.07, we made it easier to establish wireless connection by providing a tool to config dedicated PC IP for wireless streaming. We also added an option on console that allows automatically connect back to the last connected computer. It makes wireless VBS seamlessly connect as you launch VBS app inside the VRS Library.

We also improved wireless compatibility in 1.07. Now VBS can adaptively monitor for unstable connection and change transmission setting adaptively.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

VBS Console – 1.07.6a

• New Settings
    • Disable microphone
    • Hand tracking
      Worked with OpenVR Skeleton Input applications and OpenXR hand tracking applications
    • Vive Wrist tracker
      It could be used for hand tracking or for emulated as VIVE Tracker
    • Automatically connect to last connected computer
    • [Experimental] TCP mode
  • Support bitrate up to 200Mbps.
  • Support VIVE Wrist Tracker.
  • Support USB streaming via USB 2.0 (latest Focus 3 firmware 3.0.999.368 is required)
  • Support to set dedicate IP for wireless streaming.
    Tool can be found inside VBS installed directory under RR Tools
  • Encrypt Audio and microphone data.
  • Improve USB streaming performance. USB streaming now works with USB 2 connection.
  • Improve experience with revised SteamVR launch/terminate commands.
  • Fixed TheLab scene changing is not smooth with NVIDIA graphics cards.
  • Fixed an issue that SteamVR play area could be incorrect.

VBS Client (1.0.9.46) - Be sure to update through Vive Business App Store, some of the changes require the latest client version

• Support Focus 3 hand tracking.
    • Hand pinch can be interpreted as controller trigger.
  • Support VIVE Wrist Tracker.
  • When using for hand tracking,
    • Hand pinch can be interpreted as controller trigger.
    • Left hand Wrist Tracker system button to open SteamVR Dashboard
    • Left hand Wrist Tracker app button mapped to controller ‘Y’.
    • Right hand Wrist Tracker app button mapped to controller ‘B’.
  • Automatically connect to last connected IP for wireless streaming. (Need to enable via console)
  • Encrypt Audio and microphone data.
  • Fixed Sharpening failure issue to cause white image.
  • Support color adjustment post-processing. (Available in Enterprise Mode)
  • Support pass-through mode and Silent mode. (Available in Enterprise Mode)
  • Like 5

@lalalice
Can you try a few things:

1) try wireless streaming session setup tutorial on a non-beta build with the latest firmware https://www.vive.com/us/support/vbs/category_howto/starting-a-wireless-streaming-session.html if that doesn't work, try a cable based solution to rule out other potential issues https://www.vive.com/us/support/vbs/category_howto/attaching-cable-to-headset.html including system requirements  https://www.vive.com/us/support/vbs/category_howto/system-requirements.html
2) Uncheck the experimental tcp mode, as this can cause additional failures if the issue is connecting at all
2) Find the IP of the headset, for example might be
     a) 192.168.11.5 - likely on the same network
     b) or something along the lines of 10.0.0.100 or 172.16.0.100 -- if they look this different, the headset may be connected to a different network
3)  Even when connected to the same network, sometimes the network prevents devices from talking to one another.
       So lets make sure that the headset is reachable from the pc by finding the ip of the headset, for this example let's use "192.168.11.5"
     a)Open cmd

cmd_open.png.f6e24692475b4686378c4e2420c4063b.png
  b)run ping command against the ip address of the headset (in this example I assume the headset is at "192.168.11.5")

ping_headset_ip.png.e6db79e403232277254d16729d75c088.png
If it looks like this, then the two devices cannot talk to one another
c) consult the network administrator or network admin panel if you own this network (for me, it's at http://192.168.0.1/ ) and consult documents to make sure that there are no firewall rules preventing udp traffic
d) make sure that if your pc that is streaming is on multiple networks, to set the device ip using the dialog shown in your post. otherwise it shouldn't be necessary. this happens if the pc has a wireless adapter and a wired adapter both connected, for instance. 

For my own personal example:
This is something I have to consult occasionally as I have a few home networks. If I find my headset's current ip, i go to settings->general->about and then headset status, and that popup will show the ip address
Open Settings
1settings_general_about.thumb.png.b4dcf53c27d24b6bd81627b4791c40bd.png

Open About headset 
2settings_general_about_headset_status.thumb.png.fbfbaf2478d77ea229a633b512c1e21f.png

In the above picture, I notice that my ip address is "192.168.4.43" which I happen to know is on a different network than my pc. 
I can verify this as it's not reachable when I try to ping it
ping_real_failure.png.2f2908fa519218677bb9e799c86943b9.png

I then go into my network settings and change my connection to my other network
Then verify that I'm on the same network by going back through general->about->headset status again
4_ipaddress_correct_network.thumb.png.cdf6b764f03fc71826e7502d1cbdb4fe.png

Here I notice my headset's ip address "192.168.0.170" is now reachable from my pc
ping_real_success.png.95c983d2fa17b1e22ecd5cb7e9293b60.png

Edit:

two more things, if steamvr crashes a few times, one might have to manually re-enable the relevant plugins in the steam vr app. This happened to me after some updates to vbs:
1)
steamvr_check_plugins.thumb.png.d00dea46a08d288a89e3a26cc42e3d82.png

2)
Initially the first time I ever ran vbs, I got an "error 311" "Encoder initialization failed" . 
After updating my driver, nothing happened
Went back to NVIDIA GeForce Experience and installed "NVIDIA Studio Driver" and things seemed to work

vbs_encoder_init.png.dfe19473d0a0bcf40d1572cced3629f3.png

• Like 2

Had a really quick test last night and wireless streaming works great for me. I also changed the RX and RY to 2448 on top of changing the bitrate to 200mbps. I only played beat saber, but it was smooth and looked much better. 

I'll try some more over the weekend.

Thanks heaps for this update.

• Like 1

This update is looking great so far! I was happy to finally try hand tracking with StereoKit w/ SteamVR as the OpenXR runtime, and it worked! There is one problem though, and I thought it was a StereoKit issue, but then also noticed the controllers (hands) in SteamVR also. The hand/controller rotation seems to be off 90 degrees on the z-axis I believe. Basically if I put my hands flat out forward, the virtual hands/controllers are then in the expected upright position. Pinch and trigger motions are working just fine though and tracking has been good so far (using Quality mode, 200 Mpbs, and wired USB3).  Any ideas on the hand-controller rotation issue though?

Edited by jefmes
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jefmes said:

This update is looking great so far! I was happy to finally try hand tracking with StereoKit w/ SteamVR as the OpenXR runtime, and it worked! There is one problem though, and I thought it was a StereoKit issue, but then also noticed the controllers (hands) in SteamVR also. The hand/controller rotation seems to be off 90 degrees on the z-axis I believe. Basically if I put my hands flat out forward, the virtual hands/controllers are then in the expected upright position. Pinch and trigger motions are working just fine though and tracking has been good so far (using Quality mode, 200 Mpbs, and wired USB3).  Any ideas on the hand-controller rotation issue though?

The bulky hands rotation is off, but did you try the 5 finger hand?
image.png.bd8abb028c82cbb63a86561cc123110b.png
image.thumb.png.5ffc2a9a7e89f4cecd358e0651f13551.png

• Like 1

Uncheck the experimental tcp mode,  and check ping

The IP address of my computer is 192.168.11.2
And the IP address of focus3 is 192.168.11.7
I confirmed that.
PING has shown that it can communicate.
Nonetheless, the wifi connection displayed "Error 912".

Unfortunately on the Japanese support page
If "Error 912" is not resolved, please plug in the USB cable.
Only the solution to give up the wifi connection is shown. @Yuuya Masada

ss000036820.JPG

ss000036821.JPG

@lalaliceI would try uninstalling vive business streaming, reboot and installing it again, based on the error code description.

Error code 912 is described here
https://www.vive.com/us/support/vbs/category_howto/what-error-codes-and-messages-mean.html

The first portion talks about network settings, the second part talks about making sure the software is installed fully, and the third talks about using usb to verify configuration.

Also double check that nothing is configured to be using the usb connection if that's the case.

17 hours ago, Yuuya Masada said:

The bulky hands rotation is off, but did you try the 5 finger hand?
image.png.bd8abb028c82cbb63a86561cc123110b.png
image.thumb.png.5ffc2a9a7e89f4cecd358e0651f13551.png

I wasn't aware there was a way to change what controller or hand model showed for your hands, I'll give that a try and see how that works. Either way though, I would expect the controller model to be oriented upward in a default position with a user's hands vertical, as if they were holding the controllers. I will confirm again but I believe the Cosmos controller model was in standard upright position when my hands were held flat/horizontal to the ground. I tried to play "Elven Archery" to confirm and my hands were not at all aligned with what I would think would be a "normal" position (if the hands are supposed to basically replicate controllers in the OpenXR/SteamVR usage)

2 hours ago, jefmes said:

I wasn't aware there was a way to change what controller or hand model showed for your hands, I'll give that a try and see how that works. Either way though, I would expect the controller model to be oriented upward in a default position with a user's hands vertical, as if they were holding the controllers. I will confirm again but I believe the Cosmos controller model was in standard upright position when my hands were held flat/horizontal to the ground. I tried to play "Elven Archery" to confirm and my hands were not at all aligned with what I would think would be a "normal" position (if the hands are supposed to basically replicate controllers in the OpenXR/SteamVR usage)

Well it looks like screen recording is not working on my headset for some reason on the current build with the headset + vol up combo press, and I can't find record options in the headset menus either. I was able to get snapshots though, so apologies for the very hackey images here. 🙂 But you can see what's going on, with any choice of hands or the controller model, put hands vertical in front of you, and it's with palm facing up in VR. In the second image the hand vertical in a controller grip position (which should be default I think) you have to hold your hand horizontal or palm down. I confirmed this with all 3 of the available controller models in SteamVR home, and in multiple games. I understand the idea was probably to have flat hand forward feel like normally holding a controller forward, but since most controller based interactions are controller focused, the hands need to replicate that as long as there is not full 1 to 1 hand tracking in these apps. Basically, it just feels very unnatural right now.

image.thumb.png.18e770f316cfbbe2a099f7412d8fdb30.png