Request to add option of forced motion compensation always-on

Cangar

I recently got a Vive Pro 2 and while I very much appreciate the added pixels, my GPU does not. I learned that the motion compensation was recently improved a lot which I can confirm - it looks very good, better than the native SteamVR motion smoothing I was used to so far.

However, the issue I currently have is that in some games I am borderline on reprojection, and there is no option to force the motion smoothing always on, i.e. to lock the framerate to 45 Hz (or 60 Hz when using 120 Hz mode), which is very annoying. In these cases the reprojection with motion smoothing kicks in and then stops again right away, leading to a constant judder, the exact opposite of what I want, naturally.

In my opinion, a forced always-on motion reprojection is an essential feature since it allows me to safely tune the graphics setting to the targeted 45 / 60 Hz framerate, but in spots where not much is going on, it stays smoothly reprojecting without switching things on and off all the time.

I thus friendly request, or maybe even humbly urge that such a feature be implemented in the Video settings of the HTC software 🙂

On 2/19/2022 at 5:48 PM, jackie brown said:

what about caping the framerate with msi afterburner riva tuner statistics,install it and set your desired frame rate limit,works for me to cap the fps wouldnt that force motion smoothing always on?

This does not work, also the Nvidia frame limiter does not work, also tried using the frame limiter in the ENB of Skyrim for example - they all lead to very strange behavior, I suspect the sensor switching the smoothing on and off doesnt recognize these limiters correctly.

Frankly, it is a blatant mistake by HTC not to have this option. It is the most obvious thing to use when the compensation is switched on, and both Oculus and SteamVR have this option (not sure about WMR?). I also suspect it should be easy to implement, actually easier than the automatic adaptation. There is no reason to not have this option and the users should not have to fix this mistake on their end.

• 2 weeks later...

I really second this. We should be able to lock our fps to a certain value. Otherwise fluctuations in fps lead to the Vive VR compositor switching between locking the fps at different values, and this triggers stutters.

I have this issue happening with IL2 Great Battles and Microsoft Flight Simulator - the switching can happen several times per minutes, and in the case of IL2 GB, it goes from no motion compensation at 120fps to 60fps all the time, which triggers major stutters (which is really bad in a combat flight sim when very good timing is required).

Worst, in some case the Vive Console gets it completely wrong - in a Beta that I'm currently testing for another flight simulator, the Vive Console is mistakenly locking at 18fps even though the CPU and GPU usage are very low (around 10%). If we could force it to a set value, we'd avoid this type of problem too.

We really need some way to lock the FPS. Either make it possible to do it at the GPU driver level (at the moment this doesn't seem possible - if I lock fps to 45, for example, in the Nvidia control panel, it has no effect on the fps in VR) or allow us to do it via the Vive Console, be it with a less obvious setting in the config file or in the GUI of Vive Console, but do that please. Otherwise I guess I'll have to sell my Vive Pro 2 and go back to something else like Valve Index...

• 4 weeks later...

do not confuse reprojection and motion smoothness, it has nothing to do with

You can in the console force the motion smoothness ON, depending on the game, but the repro (to force 45fps for example) (45/90 30/60/120) is allmost always forced, whatever the option in steamVR

The real problem  is you can not DISABLE for real the reprojection , opposite 😉

Edited by BVV.Fr

• 4 weeks later...

I VOTE for Cangar´s request. A FORCED ALWAYS-ON REPROJECTION is a must for so high resolution HMD like VP2. I have an rtx 3080, but even an 3090 TI can´t handle it properly (without judders, stutters). This option would put VP2 as a more attractive and competitive high resolution hmd, since its competitors already have this option. Freedom of choice is ALWAYS better. Thanks.

I request another thing too: UNLOCK the Ultra and Extreme modes for GTX 1080 and GTX 1080 TI cards (maybe GTX 1070 TI ?). When i bought VP2, i almost returned it because the image in Performance, Balanced and High modes were blurry (worst than my old OG Vive, although without screendoor effect). After i get an 3080 and could choose ULTRA mode, it was night-day difference. I´am sure that my old GTX 1080 TI can handle Ultra MODE with a "reasonable" performance (it has the same performance of an rtx 2080). I always have played with reprojection in my life since always preferred heavy-modded games. It is better to me have clear image than smooth fps (e.g. SkyrimVR, FlightSimulator etc). Locking ULTRA and EXTREME modes to rtx series you end up losing consumers ( specially nowadays, when high-end GPU´s are pricey and scarce). Freedom of choice is ALWAYS better. Thanks too 🙂

Edited by Lockwood_bra
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 12:20 PM, BVV.Fr said:

do not confuse reprojection and motion smoothness, it has nothing to do with

You can in the console force the motion smoothness ON, depending on the game, but the repro (to force 45fps for example) (45/90 30/60/120) is allmost always forced, whatever the option in steamVR

The real problem  is you can not DISABLE for real the reprojection , opposite 😉

No this is not correct. You can not force reprojection on using the Vive Pro 2, it is not an option (as confirmed by the support). If your GPU can maintain 90 fps in a game, there is no way you can force it to use reprojection nontheless, and go down to 45 fps. You are right insofar as this is not necessarily connected to the motion smoothing option, and indeed it should be a separate tickbox.

However, if you tick "motion smoothing" on in the Vive console, it will not use motion smoothing if it thinks the GPU can hold 90 fps, and this is extremely problematic if you are borderline at the 90 fps but just going above and below it all the time, as then the Vive console will just switch reprojection on and off all the time. This is independent of the smoothing, correct, but when using smoothing it would be preferable to be able to force it on.

I don't understand your last sentence at all, if you disable motion smoothing and can not maintain 90 fps, what do you expect the game to do? It has to reprject the old image.

• 2 weeks later...