Devs, Please Unlock NATIVE RESOLUTION and Higher Bitrate in Business Streaming!

Tausendberg

So, now that 6E support is out, devs, even if it's just in the beta version, would you please unlock the maximum possible bitrate and full native resolution?

I really like the Vive Focus 3 and I just bought a 6E router in order to get the best possible wireless streaming, but now I need the software to allow me to use my hardware to its potential! 

Devs, would you please release a beta version for users like me? Especially, please, allow us to use native resolution, upsampling looks very blurry. 

It would be nice to have a slider for things like bitrate, refresh rate and resolution. Hide it under some advanced settings menu with a little caveat about performance and I think most users would appreciate the extra versatility. I mean, it is a little odd that I have the exact same options whether I'm streaming via Wifi or USB, when clearly USB should be able to support higher bandwidth streaming.

2 hours ago, thedrone said:

it is a little odd that I have the exact same options whether I'm streaming via Wifi or USB, when clearly USB should be able to support higher bandwidth streaming.

The same could be said about 6E, I can understand HTC not letting users select higher than 100 mbps if they're connecting to a 2.4ghz router that is in another room in an environment with a crowded radio spectrum, but it's like, the Focus 3 has 6E support, so they should let us use it to its potential!

6 hours ago, evertec said:

100Mbps? My Quest 2 runs great at 200Mbps on Wifi 6

200 Mbps would be an adequate improvement for now because native resolution is 42% more data than the current 2048 by 2048 maximum, so double the transmission flow and you have more than enough to deliver maximum resolution WITH less compression artifacts.

Obviously, I want the maximum possible Mbps but as a middle ground, 200Mbps and Native resolution would be enough. 

3 hours ago, thedrone said:

Don't let it hold you back; it still looks very good and is perfectly usable. We just feel there's untapped potential here.

Have you actually compared it to Quest 2 recently though? Quest 2 is looking really good these days with airlink as they've improved the resolution and sharpening for it. I'm just not sure if it would actually be an improvement if the focus is using half the bitrate to transmit a potentially not even higher resolution image.

• Like 1

I don't own a Quest 2, so I can't compare directly. Based on my history with other HMD's (Vive, Vive Pro, Vive Pro 2, Index, Varjo VR-3) I like the Focus 3 best for roomscale SteamVR gaming, in spite of it not being native resolution. Maybe it's a little worse in some other areas (like clarity), but it's a lot better in terms of comfort (wireless, weight distribution, geometric stability, etc). Whether the value proposition versus the Quest 2 is there, I can't judge, because at 4x the price it's probably not justified for most people.

Guy Godin (developer of virtual desktop) has said that anything above 100mbps is entering the realm of diminishign returns, so I wouldn't assume that 200mpbs offers double the quality.

All that being said... I still would very much appreciate Vive doing whatever they can to improve in this area. 🙂

• Like 2