User guide for Focus 3 Unity Development?

Giantbean

Do not worry, pico neo is here, with better hand tracking, ACTUAL documentation and commented code. HTC really needs to make their docs user-friendly or they will loose the few developpers trying to create apps for this headset... This is really sad that they were pioneer some years before and now it just crumbles... If the informations were not scattered around 23 different websites, and outdated, we would actually be able to develop. The fact that even the HTC Preview in unity play doesn't work shows how little the support is for the devs...

• Like 1

Oh plenty to worry about when not going with the Focus 3 - we're official OpenXR adopters (i.e. passed the conformance test suites) for both the PC and Android OpenXR runtimes (see openxr.org). Hand tracking now includes full support for total occlusion (with the wrist trackers) and docs are indeed improving as we're making it easier to find and we've been presenting at events and videos are forthcoming. Direct Preview should be working with the latest SDK and you can also use VBS for in editor previewing. Developers really only need to visit 2 sites: forum.vive.com and developer.vive.com.

If you have specific recent issues we'd like to know the details.

Hello, first of all thanks for your answer. I would love to know more about vive business streaming and how can i make it working in the editor : i just tried it again, directpreview does not work... I get an image in the headset, but it is static. I followed the tutorial countless times, and i feel that i am close to having a direct preview, but it doesn't work... I have no errors, i tried multiple rigs and cameras : the headset does not move in play mode, and if i close an eye, i can see a part of the scene clearly... But it's like an image that doesn't move

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Hi @Dario

DirectPreview does not work.

Neither in USB nor WiFi mode. The connection just times out. What is your setup to make this work ?

Also, care to explain how to use VBS ? Because it only shows the basic SteamVR layout in the headset, but does nothing when Unity enters Play Mode.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I still haven't gotten anything to work on this headset as the documentation just isn't clear and I am too busy working on multiple other projects. Vive should give some one like Justen P Barnett (https://www.youtube.com/c/justinpbarnett) a free headset and have him make some usable tutorials. I much prefer this headset to Meta Quest or Pico Neo and there terrible data scraping policies that allow them to record your voice and sell data to third parties among many other issues with those headsets but without good documentation Vive has just made another paper weight.  

• Like 2