Cant get HTC Vive Pro 2 working under Windows 11 and Windows 11 blue screens!!

J74656

Hi

I just purchased a HTC Vive Pro 2 and spent the last few hours trying to get it to work with Windows 11 version 21H2. I am usually quite good at getting things to work out of the box but my first impressions as a new customer to HTC is very dissapointing to say the least. I followed the setup instructions and tried 4 times to install the VivePro2Setup file directly downloaded from your website. On 4 occasions my Windows 11 machine has just gone to a fatal blue screen error and restarts. This is a brand new build of Windows 11 and I have been using it with no problems over the last 2 weeks - not a single crash prior to installing your HTC setup software. Within the control panel and device manager I am seeing BCM2045A0 as not installed and despite trying to update the driver this does not work.

Please can you advise further. @C.T.

cheers

J

I have issues with my Vive Pro 2 and Windows 11, installing though was never one of them.

They are not considered fully compatible with Windows 11 yet. Mine worked great under Windows 10 though, hoping HTC can get this resolved sooner rather than later. Too late for me to roll back to Windows 10.

• Like 2

well i spoke too soon!! since installing Vive Pro 2 I have encountered numerous blue screens and its completely killed my brand new PC. I'm not even using the VR kit and the machine just dies and reboots.

I have since done a full uninstall of the software and drivers and my machine is back to working perfectly with no further issues.

Plan B is to install a copy of WIndows 10 on a spare SSD and boot from there. £1500 and it does make you think and HTC please sort Windows 11 compatibility out.

Sighs!!

On 12/10/2021 at 3:19 PM, J74656 said:

ok after a few more attempts it works!!

trying to get this thing to work wasn't exactly easy and plugging in the sync box to another USB port also helped.

nope it definetely dosent like WIndows 11!!

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 7:01 PM, dburne said:

I have issues with my Vive Pro 2 and Windows 11, installing though was never one of them.

They are not considered fully compatible with Windows 11 yet. Mine worked great under Windows 10 though, hoping HTC can get this resolved sooner rather than later. Too late for me to roll back to Windows 10.

well ive just bought a new SSD to have a dedicated Windows 10 install and having just installed the VIVE software again with a brand new installation of Windows 10 the dreaded blue screen has appeared again and Windows completely dies and restarts so its not Windows 11 at fault. I have nothing else installed except for the latest Windows updates, Steam, Corsair iCue so and the machine only dies when its installed the ViVE software so its definetely an issue with VIVE. Its the latest one which automatically downloads from their website.

I have unplugged and boxed my Vive Pro 2 back up and uninstalled software. Gone back to my Reverb G2 for now. Maybe I will check again if and when I see an update released that says it also has some Windows 11 compatibility fixes. Whilst I could get it to work occasionally the hassle of going through it was just not worth it.

But yeah your issue is very much different. I am not going to do a format and clean install back to Windows 10 just for this headset especially since I have no issues at all in Windows 11 with any other headset. Both Reverb G2 and Index working just fine. I really liked my Vive Pro 2 and hate that it is now useless for me.

21 hours ago, dburne said:

I have unplugged and boxed my Vive Pro 2 back up and uninstalled software. Gone back to my Reverb G2 for now. Maybe I will check again if and when I see an update released that says it also has some Windows 11 compatibility fixes. Whilst I could get it to work occasionally the hassle of going through it was just not worth it.

But yeah your issue is very much different. I am not going to do a format and clean install back to Windows 10 just for this headset especially since I have no issues at all in Windows 11 with any other headset. Both Reverb G2 and Index working just fine. I really liked my Vive Pro 2 and hate that it is now useless for me.

its not Windows 11. I have installed a new copy of Windows 10 on a brand new SSD and I am having exactly the same issue. They must have done something in an update to cause this to happen. When I first used it last week I did start to have problems with it blue screening but it then appeared to sort itself out and I was able to use the headset for a good few hours without any blue screening, however 2 days ago it has now become completely unusable.

As soon as I turn on the headset not even launching Steam VR after 30 seconds to a minute or two im back to the dreaded blue screen of death. Its definetely something to do with their software or the link box USB driver as when its switched off my PC is 100% stable for hours on end and no blue screens at all. I did also try plugging in the USB cable to one which is 2.0 not 3.0 as I read that has caused problems with some users in the past. As it stands this thing is completely unusable so I have formally contacted Vive Support.

Its damn annoying especially as the new PC I have built up hasn't been exactly cheap and all the parts are of premium quality. Motherboard alone cost £450! and the new GeForce 3080Ti card a whopping £1500!!

Edited by J74656

Damn.  I am upgrading my video card before getting a Pro 2.  Reading these posts isn't reassuring, although it does reassure me that I don't want to tweak my rig to qualify for Win 11 for a while.  I've spent enough time on the bleeding edge of technology on other things.

Although I agree that tech support people should be treated like humans, and get holiday time off, it is just bad luck for us that "Happy Holidays! Limited Staff Responses: 12/23 - 1/4".  

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2022 at 12:57 PM, Bicycleinx said:

So, few weks later is Vive Pro2 now officially supported on Win11? 
I get frequently this reminders from MSFT to upgrade now. 

I always had issue with my Vive Pro 2 and Windows 11. Oftentimes image in any game would be a stuttering shaky mess. This only happened after upgrading to Windows 11. I was able to mitigate the issue somewhat by changing to one monitor only ( have 2), and disabling Defender for gameplay - but it would still come back off and on. Had a support ticket and HTC even replaced my headset, but issue persisted and they advised me likely was an issue with Windows 11 as they are not fully compatible yet.  Now I will say I have seen reports from some that had no problem with Windows 11 so may have been something peculiar with my rig who knows. Have also seen reports by others that had the same issue I did.

I got a Varjo Aero about a week ago and so far it is doing great so I guess is a moot point for me at this time.