Can't Install Vive Desktop App

Quickie

I had a similar issue. Unfortunately, the installer will not always show errors when it cannot install the Viveport Desktop app.

Here's what helped me:

1. Manually started (with admin rights) the Desktop app installer ViveportDesktopSetup-1.2.1.36.exe from folder C:\Program Files (x86)\ViveSetup\Updater\App\PCClient .
  2. Looked up up the error code in the installation log file %temp%\VIVEPORT_Desktop_xxx.log (xxx is installation start timestamp).

The installer had an issue with C:\ProgramData\Package Cache which could be solved. (Microsoft Visual Studio installers provide a --nocache switch for this type of issue.)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same issue here, and when I try to reinstall, it shows that there is only a 7MB download missing (presumably the desktop app). When I want to install that, I get a large dialog saying "Couldn't download Vive software - Something went wrong while downloading the software for Vive." This only happens for the vive desktop software which I apparently need to get into Viveport. I too have not been able to ever have this successfully work, which is a bummer.

Same issue here, I think this desktop app is supposed to be installed in the background, maybe one of those black windows that pop-up when you run the main installer.

I've been trying to manually install it from:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ViveSetup\Updater\App\PCClient

But it fails every time I try, one time it said account already exists, now it just fails.

I've removed all vive software and re-installed about 5 times now.

I'm just going to stick with SteamVR as it seems to run without issue.

M

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't install the Vive Desktop app either. When I attempt to do so I get the following errors and problems:

If I manually locate the missing msi file, I get the message above that it's invalid. When I cancel out, it refers me to the website (error 1603) that is of no assistance.