Can't Install Vive Desktop App

Quickie

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I do not have the creators update yet, just the latest Windows 10 before that. 

I ended up finding a workaround to get the Vive desktop app installed. I uninstalled all the Vive software I had (home and dashboard, drivers) then installed an old version of the Vive desktop app someone preserved on reddit, VivePCClientSetup(846).exe

That installer worked, so then I used the latest Vive installer again from the viveport.com setup download, which installed Home and Dashboard again, and brought the Vive desktop app up to the latest version. 

So, not sure what the problem is, but the latest version of the Vive software installer clearly has an issue when trying to install the desktop app, but the old standalone version installs fine.

I just wanted to say, this is the same thing that is happening to me that i made a thread about after the Vive support work around they gave me, this is happening because there is no exe to Viveport on the software provided online, I have been dealing with this for days.. 

• 3 months later...

Is there a public solution for this yet? It's still happening. The Vive installer even has a "launch viveport" button, but when you press it, it just launches steamVR. I have Vive Dashboard in VR, but no Viveport install.

C:\Program Files (x86)\ViveSetup\Updater\App\PCClient contains a ViveportDesktopSetup-1.1.1.47.exe - but this does nothing but say "initialising" when run on its own. There's also "C:\Program Files (x86)\ViveSetup\Updater\App\Dashboard\win32\ViveDashboard.exe" which I can see via the start menu, but which doesn't see to do anything.

This is really annoying now the bundled software isn't available via Steam any more- since Steam actually works. The installer should really install the desktop client so that people can spend money with you :)

Edit: Windows 10 64 bit, Home, Version 1703 (build 15603.540) - which is "Creators"

> We've gone through a number of software revisions since May. What version are you currently on?

Always the current one, freshly downloaded directly from you.

> Are you running as administrator?

I tried running the installer as Administrator, and the installer just failed trying to do the secondary download, "Couldn't download Vive software. Something went wrong while downloading software for Vive".

> Do you have all your anti-virus software disabled?

That never made any difference, tried it either way.

Edit: Tried uninstalling the software, and the uninstaller hangs on "Uninstall Apps 5/8". Leave it for long enough and it just exits without uninstalling.

Bit of a horror show all-round, I wish I'd just used bare Steam VR, as the headset is great- it's the extra software that's less good. Do you have a tool for sweeping the Vive apps out?

I just ran a fresh install on my PC to test. It works fine. You're downloading from www.vive.com right? There's something going on your PC or your network which is preventing the download. The executable works...

There's usually 5 components that show up in Add/Remove Programs. It should look like this: 

Thanks for the response!

In the end, I just restored an image backup of my boot drive that I made before installing the HTC software. Magically, all the VR stability issues have gone, and the Windows wonkiness with them.

It appears that the HTC software was installing a filesystem driver (?), running as a service. The first clue was that stopping this made the machine a lot happier. However, the HTC uninstaller didn't work properly, so wouldn't remove the software.

Anyway, without the HTC software, just using the basic Steam VR drivers, the Vive works beautifully, and the lighthouse Bluetooth power management works again too- which is a net benefit. I also don't have a ton of random Vive-related processes running doing spurious disk I/O and unexpectedly snatching focus when playing non-VR titles (the latter cost me an Overwatch match or two!).

I guess the only downside is that now that the bundled titles are no longer offered as Steam codes, but are tied to the HTC software, I can't have any of them as promised. You really do have to pick your battles, though; a smooth and stable system is probably a bigger net benefit than a "free" copy of Tilt Brust and Everest Experience (though they do look cool).

Thanks again for trying to help, though- really appreciate it. It's nice to know that there's a human being reading this stuff.

• 3 months later...

Okay, it's Dec. 12th, 2017 and I just encountered the same error while attempting to reinstall the Vive software following a glitch in SteamVR.

For background - I've been running my Vive on my gaming system (i7 7700k; GTX 1070; 32Gbs RAM; Win 10 creators fall update) since Jan. 2017 through Steam with few problems other than some latency issues on occasion. Yesterday, I fired up SteamVR and got the following error message:

Error Starting SteamVR

SteamVR failed to initialize for unknown reasons: (Error IPC Compositor Connect Failed (306))

FYI - The Vive status box shows all physical devices in the green and a red NOT READY

Above the status box there's another error message:

Compositor is not available

You'll need this to run SteamVR to work correctly

There's a link to "Launch Compositor" but after clicking it, nothing happens.

I sent Steam a support request and so far Steam doesn't seem to have an answer.

Vive support recommends uninstall and reinstall which brings me to the problem of the installer not finding "Setup_VivePCClient.msi"

I am running as an administrator and this computer is not on a network, although the error message also says "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable" - like duh, the machine is not on a network.

The installer default location for Setup_VivePCClient.msi is:

C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{56C14CA2-FA7A-4A95-A429-8C5B7F1C1689}v1.0.8889.966\

There is no C:\ProgramData folder on my C drive, or my D drive, nor my E drive. So why is the installer calling for a file from a folder that doesn't exist?

Anyway - the Vive installer thinks everything's just fine and shows both the Vive software and Steam software as being properly installed. If I run SteamVR - I'm back to the original "Starting Steam error message - Compositor Connect failed.

I will check back here to see if anybody has an answer because I'd rather have a Vive then an Occulus